French Academy of Technologies
The French Academy of Technologies (Académie des technologies) is a learned society, founded in 2000, with an emphasis on technology, and the newest of French academies. In 2007 it acquired the status of établissement public, which enforces its public role.
Its stated missions are as follows:
- Help to better exploit technologies in service of mankind
- Provide clarity on emerging technologies
- Contribute to public discussion of the risks and benefits of technologies
- Contribute to professional and technological education
- Interest the young and their parents in technologies and new careers
- Raise public interest and comprehension in technologies
In 2006 the Academy had approximately 200 active members plus emeritus and foreign members. It is organized into a number of commissions, committees, and work groups on subjects including ethics, energy and the environment, transport, simulation, defense, etc.