Friedrich Engel (mathematician)
December 26, 1861|
Lugau, Kingdom of Saxony, German Confederation
|Died||September 29, 1941
Giessen, Hessen, Nazi Germany
|Institutions||University of Leipzig
University of Greifswald
University of Giessen
|Alma mater||University of Leipzig
University of Berlin
|Doctoral advisor||Felix Klein|
|Doctoral students||Abraham Plessner|
|Known for||Engel group
Engel studied under Felix Klein at Leipzig, and collaborated with Sophus Lie for much of his life. He worked at Leipzig (1885–1904), Greifswald (1904–1913), and Giessen (1913–1931). He died in Giessen.
Engel was the co-author, with Sophus Lie, of the three volume work Theorie der Transformationsgruppen (publ. 1888-1893; tr., "Theory of transformation groups"). Engel was the editor of the collected works of Sophus Lie with 6 volumes published between 1922 and 1937; the seventh and final volume was prepared for publication but appeared almost twenty years after Engel's death. He was also the editor of the collected works of Hermann Grassmann. Engel translated the works of Nikolai Lobachevski from Russian into German, thus making these works more accessible. With Paul Stäckel he wrote a history of non-Euclidean geometry (Theorie der Parallellinien von Euklid bis auf Gauss, 1895). With his former student Karl Faber, he wrote a book on the theory of partial differential equations of the first order using methods of Lie group theory. In 1910 Engel was the president of the Deutsche Mathematiker-Vereinigung.
- Carmichael, R. D. (1923). "Volume III of Lie's Memoirs". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 29 (8): 367–369. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1923-03758-0.
- Carmichael, R. D. (1930). "Sophus Lie's Gesammelte Abhandlungen (Vol. 4)". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 36 (5): 337. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1930-04950-2.
- Wilson, E. B. (1915). "Review: Hermann Grassmanns gesammelte mathematische und physikalische Werke. Herausgegeben von FRIEDRICH ENGEL.". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 22 (3): 149–150. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1915-02746-1.
- Wintner, Aurel (1933). "Review: Friedriech Engel, Die Liesche Theorie der partiellen Differentialgleichungen der erster Ordnung". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 39 (3): 183–184. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1933-05564-7.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Friedrich Engel", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Friedrich Engel at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Literature by and about Friedrich Engel (mathematician) in the German National Library catalogue
|This article about a German mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|