GCMD Main window
|Developer(s)||The GNOME Commander team|
|Stable release||184.108.40.206 / December 6, 2011|
|Operating system||Linux, BSD and Unix-like operating systems, and also Microsoft Windows (via Cygwin)|
GNOME Commander is a 'two panel' graphical file manager for GNOME. It is built using the GTK+ toolkit and GnomeVFS. GNOME Commander aims to fulfill the demands of more advanced users who like to focus on file management, their work through special applications and running smart commands.
- GNOME MIME types.
- FTP, SFTP and WebDAV support.
- SAMBA access.
- Right click mouse menu.
- User defined context menu.
- Quick device access buttons with automatic mounting and unmounting.
- Latest accessed folder history.
- Folder bookmarks.
- Plugin support.
- Python scripting.
- Fast file viewer for text and images.
- Meta data support for Exif, IPTC, ID3, Vorbis, FLAC, APE, PDF, OLE2 and ODF tags.
- Tools for advanced renaming of files, searching, quick file name search in current directory, symlinking, comparing directories.
- User defined keyboard shortcuts
- Integrated command line.
- Support for over 40 languages.
The user interface is based on Norton Commander. The idea is to manipulate files from active to inactive panel or within active panel. Only the keyboard is required to do this, which makes the process much faster. Using the mouse is still an option.
- GNOME Commander homepage
- GNOME Commander sources at ftp.gnome.org
- Debian packages
- Ubuntu packages
- Mandriva packages
- SuSe packages
- Fedora packages
- Gentoo ebuild for GNOME Commander