|This article relies on references to primary sources. (December 2012)|
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for products and services. (December 2012)|
|Initial release||v1.00d, (September 25, 1993) |
|Stable release||8.01  / August 3, 2012|
|Preview release||8.50 beta 12  / December 4, 2013|
|Written in||Object Pascal (Delphi)|
|Operating system||Windows, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Android|
Freeware (Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Android)
Total Commander is an Orthodox File Manager (OFM) for Windows, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, and Android. Some features include a built-in FTP client, tabbed interface, file compare, archive file navigation, and a versatile multi-rename tool with regular expression support.
This application is written by the Swiss Christian Ghisler in Delphi 2 (32-bit version) and Delphi 1 (16-bit version). The program is extensible by programmers via an open plugin-API and it has the ability to bind external programs for viewing or editing files. Many plugins are freely available for e.g. different packer formats or file viewer for special file formats. As well, a large variety of internal functions (commands) are available and ready to assign to icons, although some study might be needed to discover them.
The Windows version is shareware: users can download it for free and use indefinitely, but should register or delete it within 30 days. The unregistered version reminds the user to register every time it starts, but it retains full functionality even after the 30-day trial period.
From 1993 until 2002 Total Commander was called Windows Commander; the name was changed in 2002 out of fear of a lawsuit after the developers received a letter from Microsoft pointing out that the word "windows" was trademarked by Microsoft.
- "List of changes - TotalcmdWiki". 2009-12-08. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "Total Commander 8.01 final available (32bit+64bit)". Ghisler.ch. 2012-08-03. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Total Commander 8.50 beta 12 available". Ghisler.ch. 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Question to writers (work with WinXP)". Ghisler.ch. 2008-03-12. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "Total Commander - USB download". Ghisler.com. 2008-03-12. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- WineHQ entry- Total Commander (a.k.a. Windows Commander)
- "Total Commander - Name change". Ghisler.com. 2002-11-02. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- The official site of Total Commander
- Total Commander overview from Softpanorama e-book on orthodox managers