Gang Related (TV series)
|Created by||Chris Morgan|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Original run||May 22, 2014– present|
The series follows the personal and professional lives of the members of the elite Los Angeles Police Department's multi-agency Gang Task Force as they take on the city's most dangerous gangs, including one with which a task force member has ties.
Opening Introduction: (narrated by Ramon Rodriguez)
|“||My name is Ryan Lopez. After my parents died, the Acostas and Los Angelicos took me in and raised me as one of their own. To protect them, I was asked to go undercover as a member of the LAPD. Now I must walk the line between cop and criminal without being exposed.||”|
- Ramon Rodriguez as Ryan Lopez: an LAPD Detective who was taken in and raised by the Acosta family at a young age after the death of his father when he was ten. He was born in a poor town in Mexico, and came to the United States illegally with his parents. He is dating his boss's daughter, ADA Jessica Chapel.
- Jay Hernandez as Daniel Acosta: son of Acosta family who is working as an investment banker and is Ryan's childhood best friend.
- RZA as Cassius Green: DEA Agent and Ryan's second partner. He shot and killed a teenager high on a tainted drug who had just shot Ryan and was about to shoot him, which nearly ended his career. Ryan tricked the boy's father to drop his lawsuit, using his service sidearm and claiming that the teenager had killed the son of a gang member using that gun. Ryan threatened to plant the gun on the man, in order to convince the gang member to kill him in retaliation.
- Sung Kang as Tae Kim: FBI Agent and Veronica's partner. He has a sister, who does not move or speak.
- Inbar Lavi as Veronika "Vee" Dotsen: ICE Agent and Tae's partner. She was stuck by a needle and is uncertain if she will be HIV positive. Her brother, Anton, is in prison for life. They are Russian.
- Rey Gallegos as Carlos Acosta: older son of Acosta family who is a lieutenant of the "Los Angelicos" gang.
- Shantel VanSanten as Jessica "Jess" Mary Chapel: Assistant District Attorney of Los Angeles County who is also Sam Chapel's daughter and Ryan's girlfriend.
- Cliff Curtis as Javier Acosta: Head of the Los Angelicos and patriarch of the Acosta family. His parents were illegally working at a restaurant when it burned down and the illegal workers all died. Javier and other people still in the basement escaped, but not his parents.
- Terry O'Quinn as Sam Chapel: Head of the LAPD Gang Task Force
- Emilio Rivera as Tio Gordo: right-hand man of the Los Angelicos
- Jay Karnes as Paul Carter: an LAPD Internal Affairs detective investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of Ryan's partner
- Konstantin Lavysh as Anton Dotsen: brother of Vee Dotsen
- Philip Anthony-Rodriguez as Billy Cabrera: undercover agent working at Daniel's bank
- Lela Loren as Silvia: Daniel's fiancée, she is implied to have lingering feelings for Ryan. She was Ryan's girlfriend before he went in the Army. They went their separate ways. Her name is tattooed on his arm. When he came back, she was with Daniel.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release dates|
|Season premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||13||May 22, 2014||August 14, 2014||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||"Pilot"||Allen Hughes||Chris Morgan||May 22, 2014||1WAZ79||2.93|
|2||"Sangre por Sangre"||Nelson McCormick||Scott Rosenbaum & Chris Morgan||May 29, 2014||1WAZ01||3.15|
|Ryan and the GTF try to find the rival gang members who shot Carlos in order to prevent it escalating into a gang war as well as to hide his own involvement in the matter. Elsewhere, Internal Affairs Agent Paul Carter (Jay Karnes) continues his investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Ryan's partner.|
|3||"Pecados del Padre"||Richard J. Lewis||Jennifer M. Johnson||June 5, 2014||1WAZ02||2.86|
|The GTF are tasked with protecting a Colombian informant who is about to testify in Federal Court, but are ambushed while moving him and his family to safety, forcing Ryan to choose between his Task Force duties and revealing the snitch's whereabouts to assist the Acosta family's quest for legitimacy.|
|4||"Perros"||Michael Offer||Robert Munic||June 12, 2014||1WAZ03||2.70|
|The Task Force is force into action after findind a sex trafficing ring set up by some russians.|
|5||"Invierno Cayó"||Allison Anders||Cameron Litvack||June 19, 2014||1WAZ04||2.47|
|Carlos' plans blows up in his face after he attempts to sabotage another gang's shipment to improve business.|
|6||"Entre Dos Tierras"||Milan Cheylov||Carolina Paiz||June 26, 2014||1WAZ05||2.41|
|7||"Regreso del Infierno"||Nelson McCormick||Benjamin Daniel Lobato||July 3, 2014||1WAZ06||2.47|
|8||"El Zorro y el Gallinero"||Félix Enríquez Alcalá||Christal Henry||July 10, 2014||1WAZ07||2.34|
|9||"Dia de Todos los Santos"||Christopher Misiano||Mark Valadez||July 17, 2014||1WAZ08||2.64|
|10||"El Buey y el Alacrán"||July 24, 2014||1WAZ09||2.40|
|11||"La Luz Verde"||July 31, 2014||1WAZ10|
|12||"Almadena"||August 7, 2014||1WAZ11|
Reviews for the show were mixed. It currently holds a 42% approval rating with an average score of 5.7/10 on review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus states: "Gang Related focuses more on being dark and edgy than delivering an original narrative, resulting in a fairly ordinary cop drama." It has also received mixed critical reception on Metacritic, with a Metascore of 52, signifying "mixed or average reviews".
Dorothy Rabinowitz at The Wall Street Journal wrote: "the writing is sharp, the atmosphere thick with tension from, among other things, car and foot chases". In contrast, The Hollywood Reporter's Tim Goodman wrote: "it’s pretty clear right away that you’re dealing with a pile of clichés that, pushed together and financed, can never be more than dreadful".
In January 2013, Fox announced that it had received a pilot order for the project.
In February 2013, Ramon Rodriguez was the first to be cast as the protagonist Ryan Lopez - a gang member sent in to infiltrate the LAPD. Shortly after, Sung Kang was cast in the role of Tae Kim, Asian gang specialist on loan from the FBI who refuses to celebrate Ryan’s achievements because he considers Ryan’s tactics dangerous and wasteful. Jay Hernandez later joined the cast as Daniel Acosta, gang lord Javier Acosta’s son, and Ryan’s best friend since childhood.
In March 2013, RZA and Cliff Curtis were then added to the cast with Curtis cast in the role of Javier Acosta, the head of one of the most dangerous gangs in Los Angeles. RZA was signed onto the role as Cassius Green Ryan’s partner and best friend on the Gang Task Force originally from the tough streets of Oakland. Shantel vanSanten was cast in the days following as a doctor who treats Ryan for his bullet wound injuries and the daughter of the gang task force’s captain. Tom Berenger was originally cast as Sam Chapel, a tough, dynamic police chief who oversees the Gang Task Force but was later replaced by Terry O'Quinn. 
On May 8, 2013, Fox officially picked up Gang Related to series for 13 episodes.
- "Development Update: Wednesday, May 8 - FOX Drama Series Pick Ups". The Futon Critic. May 8, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 8, 2013). "Fox Picks Up Dramas 'Rake', 'Gang Related', 'Sleepy Hollow' And 'Almost Human'". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 12, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Rose, Lacey (May 8, 2014). "Fox Drama Series Orders: 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'Rake,' 'Gang Related,' 'Almost Human'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- "FOX Announces Additional Spring and Summer Premiere Dates". The Futon Critic. March 26, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 26, 2014). "FOX Announces Premiere Dates for 'Kitchen Nightmares', 'Gang Related', 'Hotel Hell', 'MasterChef' & More; 'Enlisted' Pulled From Schedule". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Shows A-Z - gang related on fox". The Futon Critic. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 23, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Hell's Kitchen' Adjusted Up, No Adjustment for 'Gang Related' or 'Last Comic Standing'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 23, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Gang Related' & 'Black Box' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 6, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Hell's Kitchen' Adjusted Up + Final NBA Basketball Rating". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (June 12, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Undateable' Adjusted Down Plus Final NBA Finals Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 20, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Rookie Blue' Adjusted Up; 'Gang Related' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (June 27, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Rookie Blue' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 7, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Rookie Blue' Adjusted Up; 'Hell's Kitchen', 'Gang Related' & 'Undateable' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (July 11, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Brother' Adjusted Up; 'Gang Related' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (July 21, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Brother' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 25, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'NY Med' Adjusted Up; 'Gang Related' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- "(GAN-111) "La Luz Verde"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "(GAN-112) "Almadena"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Gang Related : Season 1 (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Gang Related : Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Rabinowitz, Dorothy (May 15, 2014). "Blood Ties and Mayhem". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- Goodman, Tim (May 20, 2014). "'Gang Related': TV Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 4, 2013). "Anna Popplewell To Co-Star On CW’s ‘Reign’, Cliff Curtis On Fox’s ‘Gang Related’". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 4, 2013). "Rza To Co-Star In Fox Drama Pilot ‘Gang Related’, CW’s ‘Reign’ Adds Actress". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 9, 2013). "Michael Rapaport To Co-Star In CBS’ Greg Garcia Pilot, ‘Gang Related’ Adds Actress". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 19, 2013). "Terry O’Quinn Joins Fox’s ‘Gang Related’". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.