Gareth Evans (director)
|Born||Gareth Huw Evans
1980 (age 33–34)
|Alma mater||University of Glamorgan|
|Spouse(s)||Rangga Maya Barack|
Gareth Huw Evans is a Welsh film director from Hirwaun, but who is now based in Indonesia. He is best known for bringing the Indonesian martial art, pencak silat, into world cinema, in his films: Merantau, The Raid (which was featured in the Sundance Festival in 2012), and The Raid 2.
Evans graduated from University of Glamorgan with a MA in Scriptwriting for Film and Television, and had made his living helping people learn Welsh over the Internet. After directing a small-budget film called Footsteps, Evans was hired as a freelance director for a documentary about pencak silat. He became fascinated with silat, and also discovered Indonesian martial artist Iko Uwais, who was working as a deliveryman for a phone company. Evans cast Uwais as the star in the movie Merantau which was released in 2009 and was a cult hit. Evans planned to produce a larger action film, but scaled the production budget down, and created an action film called Serbuan Maut or The Raid.
|2003||Samurai Monogatari||Short film|
|2013||V/H/S/2||Segment: Safe Haven|
|2014||The Raid 2: Berandal|
|2015||The Night Comes For Us||co-writer & producer|
- Hughes, Brendan (2012-05-24). "Gareth comes home for his film premiere". walesonline.co.uk.
- "Director, Star of 'The Raid' Discuss the Movie". Jakarta Globe. 2012-04-02.
- "‘The Raid’ directed by Glamorgan graduate Gareth Evans released today". University of Glamorgan. 2012-05-18.
- Ludkin, Gareth (May 2012). "profile - Gareth Evans". Buzz: 22.
- Koehler, Robert (2012-01-06). "Evans: 'Raid' director discovers action inspiration abroad". Variety.
- Sungkar, Aulia R. "Q&A fist of success". Jakarta Java Kini Magazine (in English). Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- Brown, Todd (2009-02-04). "Gareth Evans and Iko Uwais talk MERANTAU". Twitch Film. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Wrenn, Eddie (24 February 2012). "From the valleys of Wales to the hills of Hollywood: Fledgling director Gareth Evans' meteoric rise to fame as critics praise The Raid". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Gareth Evans – The Raid Interview at TIFF 2011. Tribute.ca. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Sony Pictures Classics Releasing The Raid". deadline.com. November 29, 2011.