Gareth Evans (director)
|Born||Gareth Huw Evans
1980 (age 32–33)
|Alma mater||University of Glamorgan|
|Spouse(s)||Rangga Maya Barack|
Gareth Huw Evans is a Welsh film director from Hirwaun, but who is now based in Indonesia. He is best known for bringing the Indonesian martial art, pencak silat, into world cinema, in two of his films: Merantau and The Raid, the latter of which was featured in the Sundance Festival in 2012.
Evans graduated from University of Glamorgan with a MA in Scriptwriting for Film and Television, and had made his living helping people learn Welsh over the Internet. After directing a small-budget film called Footsteps, Evans was hired as a freelance director for a documentary about pencak silat. He became fascinated with silat, and also discovered Indonesian martial artist Iko Uwais, who was working as a deliveryman for a phone company. Evans cast Uwais as the star in the movie Merantau which was released in 2009 and was a cult hit. Evans planned to produce a larger action film, but scaled the production budget down, and created an action film called Serbuan Maut or The Raid.
|2003||Samurai Monogatari||Short film|
|2013||V/H/S/2||Segment: Safe Haven|
|2014||The Night Comes For Us||co-writer & producer|
|201?||Breaking The Bank|
- Hughes, Brendan (2012-05-24). "Gareth comes home for his film premiere". walesonline.co.uk.
- "Director, Star of 'The Raid' Discuss the Movie". Jakarta Globe. 2012-04-02.
- "‘The Raid’ directed by Glamorgan graduate Gareth Evans released today". University of Glamorgan. 2012-05-18.
- Ludkin, Gareth (May 2012). "profile - Gareth Evans". Buzz: 22.
- Koehler, Robert (2012-01-06). "Evans: 'Raid' director discovers action inspiration abroad". Variety.
- Sungkar, Aulia R. "Q&A fist of success". Jakarta Java Kini Magazine (in English). Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- Brown, Todd (2009-02-04). "Gareth Evans and Iko Uwais talk MERANTAU". Twitch Film. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Wrenn, Eddie (24 February 2012). "From the valleys of Wales to the hills of Hollywood: Fledgling director Gareth Evans' meteoric rise to fame as critics praise The Raid". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Gareth Evans – The Raid Interview at TIFF 2011. Tribute.ca. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Sony Pictures Classics Releasing The Raid". deadline.com. November 29, 2011.
- Chitwood, Adam (2012-05-04). "Gareth Evans to Direct Heist Drama Breaking the Bank". Collider.com.