February 12, 1983
|Occupation||Actor, stuntman, fight choreographer, martial artist|
|Spouse||Audy Item (2012–present)|
Iko Uwais (born Uwais Qorny; February 12, 1983) is an Indonesian actor, stuntman, fight choreographer, and martial artist. He is best known for starring in the action films Merantau (2009), The Raid: Redemption (2012), and The Raid 2: Berandal (2014).
Born in Jakarta, Uwais is of Betawi descent. He is named after the Muslim mystic Uwais Qarni, founder of the Uwaisi tradition. He has been learning silat betawi since he was 10 years old at his uncle's pencak silat training hall, Tiga Berantai. In 2003, he won third place at the Jakarta Provincial Tournament. In 2005, he won first place at the National Pencak Silat Championship as the best performer in the demonstration category.
Apart from silat, his main interest was soccer. Once a midfielder in an Indonesian B-League soccer club, he stopped his dream of becoming a soccer star after his club went bankrupt.
In 2007, Iko's talent was discovered by Welsh director Gareth Evans, who was filming a documentary about silat in Iko's training hall. Iko's natural charisma and great camera presence encouraged Evans to cast him as the leading role for his first martial art movie, Merantau. After signing a five year contract with Gareth Evans and his production company, Iko resigned from his daytime job as an operational driver in a telecom company, Esia.
In his first acting experience in Merantau, Iko played the role of a young Minang (West-Sumateran), which led him to learn the Minang style of silat harimau (tiger style) from Master Edwel Datuk Rajo Gampo Alam. Merantau was released in Indonesia on 6 August 2009. The film was featured in Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival in South Korea and South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival in Austin, Texas with highly positive reviews. Merantau won the Best Film award at ActionFest 2010.
Risingsuntokusatsu.com movie reviewer Inui Takumi said of Iko's performance in Merantau: "...he brings a bit of innocent charm that adds a lot to his performance. Apparently the director, Gareth Evans, was drawn to this quality as well as his enthusiasm when he encountered Iko years before while shooting a documentary on the art of Silat. He says that he saw a star quality in him and immediately worked to get him working on his first film. Granted, he may not have done too much as far as intense acting in this movie, but he shows sparks of something more in his talent that once honed, I think his talent and personality could definitely raise him to martial arts legend status".
Iko's second collaboration with Gareth Evans was The Raid (known as The Raid: Redemption internationally), which began filming in mid-March 2011 and was released in mid-2012. The movie has been hailed by critics and audiences in various festivals as one of the best martial art movies in years. Iko also served as the co-fight choreographer of the movie along with fellow actor/martial artist Yayan Ruhian.
Iko collaborated on a third movie with Evans, The Raid 2 (released in Indonesia with its original title The Raid: Berandal, berandal meaning "thugs" in Indonesian), a sequel to The Raid. It was filmed during 2013 and was released internationally during March-April 2014. The Raid 2 starts off at the point where The Raid ended. Evans has stated in interviews that there will be a third Raid film in the future.
|2012||The Raid: Redemption(Redada asesina)||Rama|
|2013||Man of Tai Chi(El poder del taichi)||Gilang Sanjaya|
|2014||The Raid 2: Berandal||Rama|
- "Gareth Evans and Iko Uwais talk Merantau". Twitch Film. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- "From the valleys of Wales to the hills of Hollywood: Fledgling director Gareth Evan's meteoric rise to fame as critics praise 'The Raid'". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Brown, Todd. "Reviews: Fantastic Fest 09: MERANTAU Review". Twitchfilm.net. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- Twitch.com: Undisputed 3, 14 Blades and Merantau win at ActionFest 2010. Chuck Norris declines Lifetime Achievement Award!
- Gareth (2011-02-06). "The Raid: An Introduction". Theraid-movie.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- Jones, Gareth (2012-05-15). "UK Readers: Check Out This Bullet-Ridden New Clip from The Raid and Win a Limited Edition Bag!". Dread-Central.com. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
12. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAczRvQuItc, Satu Jam Lebih Dekat Bersama Iko Uwais [full] 13. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpW3EUvVd0, The Raid On Hitam Putih [Trans7] /w Eng Sub