|— city —|
|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
Garmsar (Persian: گرمسار, also Romanized as Garmsār; formerly, Shahr-e Qeshlāq (Persian: شَهرِ قِشلاق), also, simply Qeshlāq and Qishlaq) is a city in and the capital of Garmsar County, Semnan Province, Iran. At the 2006 census, its population was 38,891, in 10,951 families.
Garmsar is located about 82 kilometres (51 mi) southeast of Tehran. It lies on the edge of Dasht-e Kavir, Iran's largest desert. Many people in the city commute to Tehran due to its proximity. Ghasre Bahram, The Stone Way, Stonvand Castle, the Sar Darre Mountains, and Kavir Desert National Park are tourist attractions located in the area.
Garmsar is also known for its high population of the educated and elite. It is the hometown of current Islamic Republic President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Garmsar includes people from different ethinities of Iran such as Azeri Turks (Osanloos and Pazokies), Gilakies and Mazanderanis (Alikaeis), Lorish (Hdavand and Zandi), Arabs (Kotties), Kurdish (Shadloos)and Balochi.
A permanet river so called Hablehrood originating from Dalichai-Firouzkooh flows to the plateau of Garmsar. The water provided by Hablehrood is extensively used for agriculture in Garmsar. Since a salti water is mixed with Hablehrood before it's arrival to the city, its water is not proper for drnking uses. Hablehrood is the only permanent river of the Semnan province. Thanks to the water provided by Hablehrood, people in garmsar grow wheat, barely, cotton and yellow mellon. Garmsar is well known for its sweet and chrispy yellow mellons nationally.
The traditional cuisine for the city is called Tahchin. It should not be confused with the classical Tahchin in Iran. Tahchin is a food based on rice in which the marinated raw meet with a pleasnt smell and taste is well cooked inside the rice for few hours with low flame.
- Islamic Azad University of Garmsar
- Elmi Kaar bordi, Garmsar
- Alla ed Dolle Haji Abad, Garmsar
- Payam e noor
- Amirkabir University of Technology- Garmsar Branch
- Irrigation of alluvial fans including the Garmsar alluvial fan
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Garmsar|
- Garmsar can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3063636" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)" (Excel). Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original on 2010-11-16.