Brolsma in 2006
|Born||Gary William Brolsma
January 14, 1986
Saddle Brook, New Jersey, United States
|Web hosting service(s)||Newgrounds, YouTube|
Gary William Brolsma (born January 14, 1986; Saddle Brook, New Jersey), also known as simply The Numa Numa Guy, is an American singer who gained worldwide attention after posting onto the Internet, near the end of 2004, a webcam video of himself lip-syncing to the song "Dragostea din tei" by Moldovan pop band O-Zone. It was known as Numa Numa, after a phrase in the song, and became an Internet phenomenon watched by millions of people, leading to mainstream media exposure for him. He initially withdrew from the attention, but returned with a band and a new video New Numa in the late summer of 2006 and began to do interviews.
Brolsma has created variants of the Numa Numa video since it became popular. One version also contains some puns, among them pictures of feta cheese during the lyric "fericirea" (happiness) and a LEGO representation of Bob Ross during the singer's words: "sunt eu, Picasso" (it's me, Picasso). Other versions include a showdown between him and Angry German Kid getting angry at his computer. The video also had a cameo by the Star Wars kid.
A story in The Believer (June/July 2006) explored the song's spread and global homogenization, while arguing that Brolsma's video "singlehandedly justifies the existence of webcams . . . It’s a movie of someone who is having the time of his life, wants to share his joy with everyone, and doesn’t care what anyone else thinks".
Brolsma's video inspired singer/songwriter Dan Balan, formerly of O-Zone, to re-create Dragostea Din Tei, as a new single "Sugar Tunes Numa Numa". He appeared in a New York City signing event at an F.Y.E. store on June 29, 2007.
He set a record in the Guinness World Records 2008, for the original Numa Numa video. The Starwars Kid clip is the most popular ever with an estimated combined 900 Million views, followed by Gary Brolsma dancing to the tune of Numa Numa (Dragostea din tei) with 700 Million views.
In November 2008, Brolsma started NumaNetwork.com, which re-directs to his YouTube channel. Through this venue, he uploaded shows from various production companies across the country. These shows included Good at Cooking with Andy, Dr. Depend, Tales from Taffytown, Smooth and Rusty, Rock That Ride, Bill Cafe, Bob And Rob Save A Buck, Soap Athetic, The Kristy Storms Show, Tobias and more.
Other media 
A fictional Brolsma appeared in episode 1204 (#171) of the animated series South Park, "Canada on Strike". It was first broadcast on April 2, 2008. The episode parodies the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike and popular Internet videos.
Brolsma also made a video promoting the Discovery Channel's National Body Challenge, which he stated he was joining. In it, he parodies, among other things, the Atkins Nutritional Approach and Star Wars kid. He also plays Warcraft 3.
Brolsma also appeared in the music video for the Barenaked Ladies song "Sound of Your Voice", which featured a compilation of YouTube celebrities.
On October 15, 2007, The New York Times reported that Brolsma had recently collaborated on a video with lonelygirl15's Glenn Rubenstein, as well as Chad Vader's Aaron Yonda and Matt Sloan, as a part of Canon's Battle of the Internet Superstars.
On October 21, 2008, Brolsma finished his first musical album, titled Weird Tempo. He has been working on the CD for the past 2 years since releasing his last Numa 3 video. The album is a mix of electronic beats with rock influences.
On October 26, 2009, Brolsma appeared in a two part video series in which he was stalked and pursued by reporter Kristy Storms, a character frequently featured on his website.
On April 28, 2010, Gary Brolsma starred alongside recording artist Randy Reiman in a new music video for the song, M.I.S.H.A.P.
In late 2010 a Vizio commercial began circulation featuring a long shot of someone (either Brolsma or a look alike) reenacting his famous "Numa Numa Dance" during a montage of various examples of internet content available on Vizio's new television line.
- Bizub – Quinlan / Bizub – Parker Funeral Homes – Affordable Funerals, Cremations and Caskets -Memorial Obituaries – Memorial Services – Clifton – Little Falls Telkes, Margaret. Obit.bizub.com. Retrieved on 2012-01-18.
- Feuer, Alan; George, Jason (2005-02-06). "Internet Fame Is Cruel Mistress for a Dancer of the Numa Numa". The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-11-28.
- The Believer – The Syncher, Not the Song. Believermag.com (2004-12-06). Retrieved on 2012-01-18.
- National Body Challenge : Discovery Health. Health.discovery.com. Retrieved on 2012-01-18.
- Numa Guy on The War at Home. YouTube (2006-12-16). Retrieved on 2012-01-18.
- Callender, David (October 15, 2007). "In a City Far, Far Away From Hollywood, the YouTube Tales of a Lesser Vader". The New York Times. Retrieved November 28, 2007.
- YouTube – Pork and Beans[dead link]
- Gary (2008-10-21). "CD Baby". Retrieved 2008-10-21.
- Gary Brolsma Numa Numa Guy meets Kristy Storms. YouTube. Retrieved on 2012-01-18.
- "Save Numa! Gary Brolsma Numa Numa Guy".
- "Save Numa".
- "M.i.s.h.a.p.". Youtube.
- Newgrounds.com – Numa Numa Dance – Numa Numa Dance where it was originally submitted.
- NewNuma.com – Gary Brolsma's Official Website
- Gary Brolsma's YouTube profile – Gary Brolsma's YouTube profile
- Gary Brolsma's CD Weird Tempo – Gary Brolsma's CD, Weird Tempo
- Barenaked Ladies – Sound of Your Voice – Gary in Barenaked Ladies – Sound of Your Voice
- Internet Fame Is Cruel Mistress for a Dancer of the Numa Numa – New York Times Article