Georges Schwizgebel, born on 28 September 1944 in Reconvilier, Switzerland, is a Swiss animation film director whose paint-on-glass-animated 2004 film L'Homme sans ombre (The Man With No Shadow) won various awards.
Schwizgebel was born on 28 September 1944 in Reconvilier, Canton of Berne (Jura bernois), in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. From 1960-65 he studied at the École des Beaux-Arts et des Arts Décoratifs at Geneva. In 1971 he founded Studio GDS where he produced and directed animated films as well as working in graphic design. From 1986 to 1995 he worked on retrospectives and exhibitions, among others, in Nuremberg, Stuttgart, Tokyo, Osaka, Paris and New York. In 2002 he was awarded Swiss Film Prize, Best Short Film for “La jeune fille et les nuages”. His film, The Man With No Shadow was included in the Animation Show of Shows.
His 2011 short film Romance, a co-production of the National Film Board of Canada and two Swiss studios, was one of five animated shorts nominated for the 32nd Genie Awards, where it won the Award for Best Animated Short.
His son is classical pianist Louis Schwizgebel-Wang (b. 1987).
- Le ravissement de Frank N. Stein (1982)
- La course à l'abîme (1992)
- The Man with No Shadow (2004)
- Jeu (2006)
- Romance (2011)
- Chemin Faisant (2012)
- "NFB Profiles - Schwizgebel Georges". Nnf-nfb.gc.ca. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- Minovitz, Ethan (17 January 2012). "Five animated shorts nominated for Genie Award". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- Minovitz, Ethan (March 9, 2012). "Georges Schwizgebel wins at Genies with "Romance"". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- Olivier Cotte (2004) Georges Schwizgebel, animated paintings, Éditions Heuwinkel, ISBN 3-906410-18-8
- Georges Schwizgebel at the Internet Movie Database
- Romance at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- G. Schwizgebel on the National Film Board of Canada web site
- Home page at the National Film Board of Canada site for Schwizgebel's film, Jeu
|This article relating to an animator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|