Glamorgan County Silver Ball Trophy
Aberavon Harlequins, winners in 1982, with the trophy
|Current champions||Bedlinog RFC|
|Most successful club(s)||Glynneath RFC
The Glamorgan County Silver Ball Trophy (also known as the Glamorgan County Brains Smooth Silver Ball Trophy), is a Welsh rugby union competition open to all non-premier Welsh Rugby Union clubs playing in the Glamorganshire area.
The Silver Ball competition was originally suggested by Glamorgan County president Glan Williams in 1955 and the first tournament took place in 1956 when J. Norman Hunt volunteered to meet the costs and was open to all sixty-four WRU clubs in the Glamorgan region. The Silver Ball Trophy itself was made by Birmingham based trophy maker Thomas Fattorini and cost a hundred pounds to produce. The initial idea was to match eight junior teams against the counties eight first class sides, but a poor response from the senior teams resulted in the Welsh Academicals being drefted in to make a realistic quarter finals.
The tournament also produces the SA Brains trophy which is awarded to the team to have scored the most tries during the build up to the final. This team is then invited to play the Silver Ball winners in a pre-season friendly for the President's Cup.
The trophy is presently sponsored by Brains Smooth.
Silver Ball Trophy finals
Competition multiple winners
- Five Wins
- Glynneath RFC
- Four wins
- Tondu RFC
- Three wins
- Bridgend Sports RFC
- Tonmawr RFC
- Two wins
- Aberavon Quins RFC
- Abercynon RFC
- Cardiff Athletic
- Cilfynydd RFC
- Gilfach Goch RFC
- Llantrisant RFC
- Llantwit Major RFC
- Maesteg Harlequins RFC
- Pyle RFC
- Senghenydd RFC
- UWIC RFC
- Ynysybwl RFC
- Chalmers, Ron (20 January 2011). "Ravens top Silver Ball table". Glamorgan Gazette. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- Davies (1975) p.154
- Davies (1975) p.157
- Owen, Arwyn, ed. (1972). Welsh Brewers Ltd Rugby Annual for Wales 1971-72. Cardiff: Welsh Brewers Ltd. p. 58.
- "Penalta win Silver Ball final". WRU.co.uk. 22 January 2005. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- Welsh Rugby Union (11 May 2008). "Tonmawr retain Glamorgan County Silver Ball". WRU.co.uk. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- Evans, Howard (29 May 2010). "Worthington's Silver Ball Final - Tonmawr 26 Tondu 15". WRU.co.uk. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "Maesteg Quins win Silver Ball". Western Mail. 23 May 2011. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- "O’Reilly shines in Silver Ball final as Glynneath fightback to win trophy". Western Mail. 21 May 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- Davies, D.E. (1975). Cardiff Rugby Club, History and Statistics 1876-1975. Risca: The Starling Press. ISBN 0-9504421-0-0.