Global Cool is a green living campaign run by the Global Cool Foundation, a registered climate change charity in the United Kingdom. As well as running the Global Cool lifestyle magazine website, Global Cool Foundation also works with corporate partners and the UK Government to promote sustainability to a mainstream audience.
Global Cool was founded in 2007 with a mission to raise awareness of climate change. Tony Blair endorsed the campaign at its launch party in 10 Downing Street. Global Cool has worked with celebrities and the media and entertainment industries to promote green behaviours such as using public transport and taking flight-free holidays.
Global Cool has attracted the support of several famous names, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Orlando Bloom, Sienna Miller, Scissor Sisters, Kasabian, Heather Graham, Josh Hartnett, Brandon Flowers, Johnny Borrell, Dave Grohl, Amitabh Bachchan, Rosario Dawson, Tony Blair, Shekhar Kapur, KT Tunstall, Perry Farrell, Maroon 5, Scott Henshall, Adam Croasdell, Jo Wood, Leah Wood, Stella Tennant, VV Brown, Rick Edwards, Scott Mills, George Lamb, Mr Hudson, Gemma Cairney and Grace Woodward. Maroon 5 has a link to the website in their "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" digital booklet.
In 2007 Global Cool launched a mobile phone recycling scheme in partnership with Vodafone to help fund its work. Other corporate partners include Logica and The Body Shop. Global Cool has also received funding from Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- "PM hosts Global Cool reception". National Archives (UK). Feb 1, 2007. Retrieved Feb 3, 2011.
- "Global Cool Foundation". Open Charities Profile (London). Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- "Global Cool is hot on carbon emissions". The Times (London). May 12, 2007. Retrieved Feb 1, 2011.
- "Sienna Miller and Amitabh Bachchan unite for Global Cool". The Insider (London). July 18, 2007. Retrieved Feb 1, 2011.
- "Green Business with Julian Knight of Global Cool: A hot week to be globally cool". CityWire (London). July 4, 2007. Retrieved Feb 1, 2011.
- "Perry Farrell, Doors drummer launch Global Cool". NME (London). Jan 30, 2007. Retrieved Feb 1, 2011.
- "Maroon 5 hits the road with Global Cool". Ecorazzi (London). July 11, 2007. Retrieved Feb 1, 2011.
- "Vodafone and Global Cool launch handset recycling campaign". HippyShopper (London). Sep 28, 2007. Retrieved Feb 1, 2011.
- "Global Cool". Body Shop Foundation (UK). Retrieved Aug 14, 2012.
- "Why it works". Global Cool Foundation (UK). Retrieved Aug 14, 2012.