Dr. Gordon McBean is a Canadian climatologist who serves as chairman of the board of trustees of the Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric Sciences. He is a professor at the University of Western Ontario and Chair for Policy in the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction. Previously he was the Assistant Deputy Minister of Meteorological Service of Canada.
In 2006, McBean, with Dr. Andrew Weaver and Ken Denman, authored an open letter, signed by 90 climate scientists, to Prime Minister Stephen Harper calling for an effective national climate change strategy. Newswire press release The letter (PDF) Univ. of Western Ontario page Globe and Mail article
The letter was a response to an earlier open letter to Harper from 60 scientists (19 Canadian) arguing against the Kyoto accord and questioning its scientific basis: National Post April 6, 2006, retrieved April 20, 2007.
Awards and honours
- MSC Patterson Medal, 1989 website
- CMOS President’s Prize
- Environment Canada Jim Bruce Award
- In 2007, he was one of many co-recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize awarded to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) as well as to Al Gore. 
- In 2010, he was made a Member of the Order of Canada. 
- In 2011, he was made a Member of the Order of Ontario.