Grand Central Mall
|Location||Vienna, West Virginia, USA|
|Owner||Glimcher Realty Trust|
|No. of stores and services||90|
|No. of anchor tenants||5|
|Total retail floor area||908,238 square feet (84,378.1 m2)|
|No. of floors||1|
Grand Central Mall is a 908,238-square-foot (84,378.1 m2) regional shopping mall in Vienna, West Virginia, near the larger city of Parkersburg. The mall opened in 1972 and is the only enclosed mall within seventy miles of its region. It features more than ninety tenants, including a food court, a movie theater and five anchor stores: Belk, Elder-Beerman, JCPenney, Sears and Dunham's Sports which opened in November 2009. The mall is owned by Glimcher Realty Trust.
Grand Central Mall opened in 1972 as the only enclosed mall within the Mid-Ohio Valley region. At the time, the mall included The Diamond (a branch of the Associated Dry Goods chain), JCPenney, Sears, and a G.C. Murphy dime store among its anchors. The Diamond closed in 1983 and was later converted to Stone & Thomas, which in turn became Elder-Beerman after the Stone & Thomas chain was acquired in 1998. Phar-Mor, a discount pharmacy chain, was later added to the mall.
Glimcher Realty Trust acquired the mall in 1993. Three years later, the company invested in an $8 million expansion, which brought a food court and a new movie theater. Phase 2 of the expansion comprised a Proffitt's (now Belk) anchor store, which was also added to Glimcher's Morgantown Mall in Morgantown, West Virginia the same year. These two stores were the first Proffitt's stores in West Virginia. Phar-Mor closed in 2002 and eventually became Steve & Barry's, while the closure of G.C. Murphy made way for Goody's Family Clothing. Goody's later closed as well and became smaller stores.
- Gehrke, Donna (1995-06-11). "Eugene Lebowitz, Turnberry Isle Developer". The Miami Herald. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "Major expansion and renovation planned for Glimcher's Grand Central Mall, Parkersburg/Vienna, West Virginia; $8 million to be invested in Phase 1.". Business Wire. 1995-05-03. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "Proffitt's to anchor Glimcher Realty Trust's West Virginia malls; new anchor stores are continuation of redevelopment projects that total $25 million.". Business Wire. 1996-01-12. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "Steve & Barry's at Huntington Mall starts liquidation sale today". The Herald-Dispatch. 2008-09-19. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- Grand Central Mall — official site