Great Wall Peri
|Great Wall Peri|
|Manufacturer||Great Wall Motors|
|Designer||TJ Innova Engineering & Technology|
|Body and chassis|
|Engine||1.3 L I4|
|Wheelbase||2,299 mm (90.5 in)|
|Curb weight||1,015 kg (2,238 lb)|
The Great Wall Peri (simplified Chinese: 长城精灵; traditional Chinese: 長城精靈; pinyin: Chángchéng Jīnglíng) is a city car produced by the Chinese automobile manufacturer Great Wall Motors since 2008. The Peri is being sold in several countries of Asia. One of the main advantages against established European, American and other Asian rivals is the low cost of the Peri compared to these.
One of the reasons for the in comparison low retail price of the Great Wall Peri is that it is based heavily on older models by other manufactures. The entry-level motor is supplied by Mitsubishi and both the interior and exterior resemble the second-generation Fiat Panda; however, the exterior even more strongly resembles the first-generation Nissan Note. The Great Wall Peri complies with the Euro-III emissions standard.
It was named the best Chinese car of 2008 by China Car Times.
Great Wall also produce Crossover Utility Vehicle (CUV) version called the Haval M1. It was previously known as the Peri 4x4.
Fiat Panda copy controversy
By December 2006, Italian automaker Fiat was considering taking legal action against Great Wall for copying their popular second-generation Panda as the Peri. Apart from the front end, the Peri was designed to look identical to the Panda inside and out.
On July 16, 2008, a Turin court upheld Fiat's claim and banned the Peri from being imported into Europe. In addition, the court order ruled that Great Wall Motors would pay Fiat a 15,000-euro fine for the first Peri imported, and an additional 50,000 euros for every subsequent car that was imported.
Great Wall launched a retaliatory suit—in China—in October 2009, claiming that Fiat had illegally spied on Great Wall while collecting information of the Peri.
- "Tj Innova Engineering & Technology Co.,Ltd". Tji.cn. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- "GWPERI Technical Parameters". Gwm.com.cn. Retrieved 2009-10-26.[dead link]
- "Great Wall Peri, the best Chinese car of 08!". China Car Times. 2008-01-11. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "FIAT IS CONSIDERING TAKING LEGAL ACTION TO STOP GREAT WALL'S PANDA CLONE BEING SOLD IN EUROPE". Italiaspeed.com. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "Chinese ‘Panda’ can’t come here". Autocar.co.uk. 2008-07-23. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "Great Wall banned from importing GWPeri minicar". Autonews.com. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "Fiat Successfully Sues Chinese Automaker for Panda Clone". Leftlanenews.com. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- [dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Great Wall Peri.|