Grizzled giant squirrel
|Grizzled giant squirrel|
|The highland subspecies of Giant Squirrel, with denser fur.|
|Grizzled giant squirrel range|
zeylanicus (Ray, 1693)
The grizzled giant squirrel (Ratufa macroura) is a large tree squirrel in the genus Ratufa found in the highlands of the Central and Uva provinces of Sri Lanka, and in patches of riparian forest along the Kaveri River and in the hill forests in the Tamil Nadu and Kerala states of southern India. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) lists the species as near threatened due to habitat loss and hunting.
There are three subspecies, all of which are found in Sri Lanka. The subspecies R. m. dandolena (taken from the Sinhalese language name for the Grizzled giant squirrel, dhandu laena) is also found in India.
R. macroura is the smallest of the giant squirrels found in the Indian subcontinent, with a head and body length of 25 to 45 centimetres (9.8 to 17.7 in), and tail measuring roughly the same or more, for a total length of 50 to 90 centimetres (20 to 35 in). It has small rounded ears with pointed tufts. The home range of an individual is between 1,970 and 6,110 square metres.
Ratufa macroura are known to take fruits, nuts, insects, bird eggs, and the bark of some trees. The fruit of the climber Combretum ovalifolium is an especially important food source where it occurs. Young squirrels, upon first emerging from the nest, have been observed to feed exclusively on this fruit. 
The table below lists the three recognized subspecies of Ratufa macroura, along with any synonyms associated with each subspecies:
|R. m. macroura||Pennant (1769)||albipes, ceilonensis, ceylonica, macrura, montana, tennentii|
|R. m. dandolena||Thomas and Wroughton (1915)||sinhala|
|R. m. melanochra||Thomas and Wroughton (1915)||none|
- Joshua, J., de A. Goonatilake, W. I. L. D. P. T. S. & Molur, S. (2008). Ratufa macroura. In: IUCN 2008. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Retrieved 6 January 2009.
- Thorington, R.W., Jr.; Hoffmann, R.S. (2005). "Ratufa macroura". In Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M. Mammal Species of the World: a taxonomic and geographic reference (3rd ed.). The Johns Hopkins University Press. pp. 754–818. ISBN 0-8018-8221-4. OCLC 26158608.
- Srinivasulu, C.; Chakraborty, S.; Pradhan, M.S. (February 2004). "Checklist of sciurids (mammalia: rodentia: sciuridae) of south Asia" (.pdf). Zoos' print journal (Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India: Zoo Outreach Organisation) 19 (2): 1356. ISSN 0973-2535. OCLC 61770409. Retrieved 28 March 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ratufa macroura.|
- ARKive - images and movies of the grizzled giant squirrel (Ratufa macroura)
- "Ratufa macroura". Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- Animal Diversity Web