Guto Requena by Victor Affaro
November 27, 1979 |
|Alma mater||University of São Paulo|
|Practice||Estudio Guto Requena|
Guto Requena is a Brazilian architect and designer (Sorocaba, Brazil, November 27, 1979) graduated in Architecture & Urbanism from the São Carlos Engineering School, a faculty of the University of São Paulo in 1999. 
Guto Requena is the Creative Director of the Estudio Guto Requena which acts in all areas where design is of the essence, in its most varied scales: objects, interiors, architecture and cities.
He founded Estudio Guto Requena in 2008 and has ever since acted as a design consultant, writer and professor in addition to developing interior architecture, interactive installations and product design.
Requena is representative of a new generation of architects and designers involved in the discussion of interactivity and its effects on architecture and design; his work focuses in new digital technologies, cyberculture, hybrid realities, new lifestyles, affective memory and Brazilian culture.
His interest in this field led him to work during nine years as an integrant of the research group “NOMADS.usp – Center of Interactive Living Studies of the University of São Paulo”, which in its turn led him to a Master’s degree at the University of São Paulo and respective dissertation Hybrid Habitation: Interactivity and Experience in the Cyberculture Era (2007).
He taught project design at Panamericana – School of Arts and Design – and at IED – European Institute of Design, in Sao Paulo – at both graduation and master levels.
- ArchDaily's Building of the Year Award 2014 - Interior Architecture - Walmart São Paulo. 
- BID 2012 – Bienal Ibero Americana de Design, as the best Space Design in Brazil for the Exhibition "Roteiro Musical de São Paulo".
- “Best in Architecture Brazil - 2010” for nightclub HOT HOT, under category “Bars & Nightclubs”. 
- “Young Brazilian Awards” as recognition for lecturing on 70 workshops all over the country.
His academic achievements and activity as a teacher in reputed design schools made him a national reference in the subject of contemporary architecture and design in the specialized media. He is creator, screenwriter and host of a show on design in cable/satellite Brazilian television channel GNT called Nos Trinques; its first season aired from March to December in 2011. 
In 2012 and 2013 Guto developed design web series for the same channel, recorded in Milan, Paris, Amsterdam and London(www.youtube.com/gutorequena).
Some of his best-known works are the São Paulo nightclub Hot Hot (2009), the collection of vases “Once Upon a Time", the "Samba Collection",  the 3D printed "Noize Chair",  the exhibition Musical Tour of São Paulo,  the interactive space for “Agência D3” (2011), and the Walmart.com brazilian headquarters. 
Guto exhibited at:
- Design Miami,
- Spazio Rossana Orlandi in Milan,
- Design Days Dubai,
- Santiago Bienal of Design in Chile,
- Brazilian Bienal of Design in Belo Horizonte,
- Mint Shop during London Design Festival
- Bienal Ibero Americana of Design in Madrid
- Design Week Mexico 2013.
- Guto Requena. "NOMADS.usp". "Hybrid habitation: interactivity and experience in the cyberculture era". Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Henry, Christopher. "Mostra Black". What turns a residential space into a home?. ArchDaily. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Abolafio, Beto. "Habitar Híbrido". Para ele, o morar é híbrido. O Estado de São Paulo - Estadão. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Building of the Year 2014 - Walmart São Paulo". ArchDaily. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Premiados BID12: Brasil | Bienal Iberoamericana de Diseño". Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- ""Best in Architecture Brazil - 2010" | nightclub HOT HOT, under category "Bars & Nightclubs". Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- VGV, Portal. "Prize". Prêmio "O melhor da arquitetura" divulga seus vencedores. FGV. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- Guto Requena. "Guto Requena - Colunistas - Folha de S.Paulo".
- Zoldan, Guilherme. "Nos Trinques". Nos Trinques. Vitruvius. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- França, Valéria. "Hot Hot". "O arquiteto que esquentou o design nacional". O Estado de São Paulo - Estadão. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "chairs made from noise: noize chair by estudio guto requena". Designboom. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Uma melodia que se vê". Casa Vogue. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Nóize chairs by Estudio Guto Requena". Dezeen. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Roteiro Musical de Sao Paulo / Estudio Guto Requena + Atelier Marko Brajovic". Archdaily. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- Gutiérrez, Catalina. "Agência D3". Espacio Interactivo D3. Plataforma Arquitectura. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Walmart Sao Paulo / Estudio Guto Requena". ArchDaily. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- NETO, ALCINO LEITE. "Arquiteto paulista projeta escritório da Google em SP". Folha de São Paulo. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Seifert, Tim. "Guto Requena, Architect and Designer, Apartment, Sao Paulo". Freunde von Freunden. Retrieved 30 January 2014.