H.S. Pledge & Sons Ltd
Victoria Mills, Ashford, August 1982
|Founder||Henry Sturgess Pledge|
|Headquarters||Ashford, Kent, United Kingdom|
|Products||Flour, animal feed|
The firm was started in 1890 by Henry Sturgess Pledge. He was apprenticed at the Black Mill, Barham c.1850. Upon leaving Barham some time before 1882, Pledge ran the Wind, Steam and Water Mills at Kennington until 1892. Pledge ran the company with his sons Lawrence John Pledge and Walter Ebeneser Pledge. H S Pledge & Sons Ltd were millers and corn merchants owning two mills in Ashford; Victoria Mills and East Hill Mill.
On the mill it states the date when it was built "Flour Mill 1901". In the 1901 census of West Ashford the Miller was Pledge's son Lawrence, he lived at the mill with his wife Ellen and six children.
- Victoria Mills – TR 008 423
The Victoria Mills was a steam mill. It was built in 1890. The date was prominently displayed on the mill building. In the 1901 Census of West Ashford the Miller was Pledge's son Walter, he lived at the Mill with his wife Emma. Victoria Mills were working until September 1984, when the building was gutted by fire. The mill was then demolished due to it being left in an unsafe condition. The company had been taken over by the Garnham Family. In 1995 the company was dissolved.
- Henry Sturgess Pledge 1838-1903
- Coles Finch 1933, p. 157.
- Kelly 1882, p. 301.
- Coles Finch 1933, p. 228.
- Kelly 1903, p. 41.
- Kelly 1913, p. 43.
- "Liquid & Envy Ashford". Luminar Leisure. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- 1901 Census of West Ashford, RG13/782, Folio 69, Page 8, Lawrence J Pledge, Flour Mills, East Hill, Ashford, Kent.
- See photograph.
- 1901 Census of West Ashford, RG13/783, Folio 36, Page 1, Walter E Pledge, Victoria Road, Ashford, Kent.
- "H. S. Pledge and Sons Ltd - dissolved 29/8/1995". Companies House. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- Coles Finch, William (1933). Watermills & Windmills. London: C W Daniel & Co,.
- Kelly, E R (1882). Directory of Kent. London: Kelly & Co,.
- Kelly, E R (1903). Directory of Kent. London: Kelly & Co,.
- Kelly, E R (1913). Directory of Kent. London: Kelly & Co,.