An undated photograph of the Haffenreffer brewery, which once had a famous tap that poured out free beer day and night. The area was bustling, and on many days the smell of hops filled the air.
|Area||5 acres (2.0 ha)|
|Architect||M.W. Fitzsimmons et al.|
|NRHP Reference #||82004453|
|Added to NRHP||May 2, 1982|
The Haffenreffer Brewery, established in 1870, was a former brewer in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts. The first Haffenreffer bottles were plate mold bottles and were produced by Karl Hutter of New York and had the traditional lightning stop tops. According to Haffenreffer company records later in 1876 the Haffenreffer Brewery contracted with Dean Foster and Company of Boston to aid in the production of bottles for the brewery and the growing demand. Starting in 1893 all Haffenreffer bottles were produced with Karl Hutter stoppers. Haffenreffer Private Stock, a legacy of the original Haffenreffer & Co. product line, is a brand of malt liquor still manufactured by Haffenreffer & Co. today.
The Haffenreffer Brewery was founded by Rudolph Frederick Haffenreffer, a German immigrant who arrived in Boston after the Civil War. Following his death on March 8, 1929, the business was turned over to his sons, Rudolf F. Haffenreffer Jr. (1874-1954) and Theodore Carl Haffenreffer (1880-1956). The brewery was subsequently run by other members of the Haffenreffer family, including Rudolph Frederick Haffenreffer III (1902-1991), his brother Carl W. Haffenreffer (1906-1999), and their first cousin, Theodore Carl Haffenreffer III (1917-2008). The brewery closed in 1965, having survived Prohibition and operating for nearly a century.
The entire Haffenreffer complex was redeveloped by the Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Development Corporation, which owns and operates it today. The Boston Beer Company, brewer of Samuel Adams beer, has been an anchor tenant and investor since the mid-1980s, and offers tours of the brewery there.
The main brewery building is included on the National Register of Historic Places.
The top of the smokestack from the old Haffenreffer Brewery has crumbled, and has been partially restored to current building codes- so the letters on its side now read FENREFFER BREWERS.
Among those businesses sharing it with Boston Beer are:
- Private Stock (malt liquor)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in southern Boston, Massachusetts
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Haffenreffer Malt Liquor". Falstaffbrewing.com. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Development Corporation :: Brewery Small Business Complex". Jpndc.org. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Jamaica Plain Historical Society - 'Victorian Era' Editor - - History of Beer Making in Jamaica Plain". Jphs.org. 1992-09-11. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- Christine McConville (February 17, 2006). "The toast of JP". The Boston Globe (The N. Y. Times Co.). Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Haffenreffer Private Stock: The Malt Liquor with the Imported Taste". Falstaff Brewing Corporation. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- "Inductee Details: Rudolf Frederick Haffenreffer, Jr.". Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- "Inductee Details: Rudolf Frederick Haffenreffer, III". Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- "Inductee Details: Carl W. Haffenreffer". Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- Bryan Marquand (January 15, 2009). "Theodore Haffenreffer, 91; ran brewery". The Boston Globe. Globe Newspaper Company. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- "Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Development Corporation". Jpndc.org. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Bella Luna Restaurant - Jamaica Plain, MA". Milkywayjp.com. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Using the bicycle as a vehicle for social change". Bikes Not Bombs. 2011-12-27. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "City Life Vida Urbana | Building Solidarity To Put People Before Profits". Clvu.org. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Children's Music Center of Jamaica Plain - Welcome". Jamaicaplainmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Tony Williams Dance Center | Celebrate Dance With Diversity!". Jpdanceclass.com. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Mike's Fitness JP - Fitness For All!". Mikesfitnessjp.com. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "TPR Media LLC". Tprmedia.com. 2010-08-19. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- —Ella B., Los Olivos, CA. "Home | Ula Café". Ulacafe.com. Retrieved 2012-07-30.