Hamish Fulton (born in 1946 in London, England) is a British artist and photographer.
He first attended the art foundation course at Hammersmith College of Art. With help from a tutor (David Hall) he was accepted straight into the advanced course at Saint Martin's School of Art, London, 1966–68, and the following year studied at the Royal College of Art, London. Fulton primarily concentrated his work on the experiences in individual walks that he took.
The emotional and physical recollections of his walks, lasting anywhere from one day to many weeks, are displayed as photographs combined with descriptive captions that evoke unique feelings within each viewer. His books expound on these matters. His Work Landscape, 1974, is by museo Cantonale d'Atrte of Lugano. His work was the focus of a December 1975 edition of the BBC television series Arena.
For the last twenty years, Fulton has shifted his focus on painting exhibition walls. His wall installation A 21 day coast to coast walking journey. Japan 1996 at the John Weber Gallery, NY incorporates the concrete poetry format and his earlier work A Seven day walk in the mountains Switzerland early summer 1984 was the inspiration for the 'fulton' Visual poetry form.
Hamish Fulton is represented in London by Maureen Paley.
- Hamish Fulton: Walking Artist. Richter Verlag, Düsseldorf 2001 ISBN 3-933807-26-3
- Hollow Lane Stellar Press (1972) ASIN: B0007AL3FE
- Hamish Fulton: Walking Artist. Hamish Fulton, Angela Vettese & Phil Bartlett ISBN 978-3-933807-26-7
- Walking Passed. Hamish Fulton. Gingko Press; Reissue edition (21 April 1994) ISBN 978-84-88045-53-9
- Wild Life (Pocketbooks) Hamish Fulton. Polygon Imprint of Birlinn Ltd ISBN 978-0-7486-6282-1. On the Cairngorms of Scotland.
- Richard Long: Walking in Circles (Painters & Sculptors) Hamish Fulton. Thames & Hudson Ltd; ISBN 978-0-500-23683-3. On the fellow-artist Richard Long
- Walking artist: The separation of subject and medium. Crawford Arts Centre (1999) ISBN 978-0-906272-65-7
- Camp Fire. Stedelijk Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven. 1985. ISBN 90-70149-11-7
- Artist Website
- Maureen Paley Website
- Galerie van der Mieden Website
- Wall installation at John Weber Gallery
- Examples of the 'fulton' Visual poetry form
- TateShots: Hamish Fulton's Slowalk (in support of Ai Weiwei) on YouTube Footage from the artist's participatory performance piece at Tate Modern. 1 May 2011