Henry W. Bloch
|Henry W. Bloch|
|Born||Henry Wollman Bloch
July 22, 1922
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
|Education||Southwest High School|
|Alma mater|| • University of Michigan
• University of Missouri–Kansas City
|Occupation||Founder and businessman|
|Spouse(s)||Marion Bloch (married 1951)|
|Relatives||Richard Bloch (brother)|
Henry Wollman Bloch (born July 30, 1922} is an American businessman and philanthropist. He is the co-founder and (since 2000) the chairman emeritus of the American tax-preparation company H&R Block. Henry and his brother, Richard Bloch, founded H&R Block in 1955 in Kansas City, Missouri.
Early life and education
Bloch was born in Kansas City where he attended Southwest High School, and was an undergraduate at University of Missouri–Kansas City. He later attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, graduating in 1944. Through the U.S. Army Air Corps he received graduate training at the Harvard Business School in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bloch founded the H&R Block company with his brother Richard in 1955.
Personal life and honors
The Henry Wollman Bloch Fountain in front of Kansas City's Union Station is named in his honor, as is the Henry W. Bloch School of Management at the University of Missouri–Kansas City and the Bloch Building, a major addition to Kansas City's Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.
- List of entrepreneurs
- List of people from Kansas City, Missouri
- List of University of Michigan alumni
- [dead link] "Biography of Bloch". H&R Block.
- Taner, Beccy (Aoril 26, 2010). "H&R Block and founders Had Roots in Kansas City". The Wichita Eagle. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- "City of Fountains – Find a Fountain". City of Fountains Foundation. Retrieved December 3, 2010.
- Staff (undated). "About Us – Fast Facts". University of Missouri–Kansas City. Retrieved October 1, 2013.