|Traded as||LSE: HSV|
Home emergencies and repairs
|Headquarters||Walsall, West Midlands, UK|
|Key people||J M Barry Gibson Chairman
Richard Harpin CEO
|Revenue||£534.7 million (2012)|
|Operating income||£85.3 million (2012)|
|Net income||£114.3 million (2012)|
HomeServe PLC is a home emergency repairs business.
The Company was originally established by Richard Harpin in 1993 as a joint venture between South Staffordshire Water and himself under the name of Fastfix. In 1994 the Company launched a plumbing and drainage service for customers under the Home Service Scheme brand. It launched Doméo, a joint venture in France in 2001, and Home Service in the USA in 2003. The water business was demerged from the rest of the Group in 2004 and the name of the Company was changed to HomeServe PLC.
The Company bought property repair company Reparalia in Spain in 2007, the French warranty provider SFG in 2009 and National Grid's service contract business in the United States in 2010. In 2010, it was also announced that HomeServe will be the official sponsor of Premier League football club West Bromwich Albion for the 2010/11 season.
The Company suspended all sales activity amid claims of mis-selling by its call centre staff in 2011. Earlier in the year Homeserve was investigated by Ofcom after it was suggested call centre staff were ringing homes and then abandoning the calls before speaking, leaving customers with silence. In February 2012 Homeserve announced that it was to lay off 200 staff and in April 2012 Ofcom imposed a fine of £750,000 for making silent and abandoned calls to prospective customers. In May 2012 they announced that they were facing an investigation by the Financial Services Authority over 'certain historic issues'. In January 2014, the company received a £34m penalty for mis-selling practices.
HomeServe provides boiler & heating repairs, plumbing repairs and appliance repairs. It also offers home emergency insurance extending to plumbing & drainage cover, boiler & heating insurance and landlords' insurance policies.
Which? has discovered that nine of the UK’s twelve biggest water companies are promoting potentially unnecessary supply pipe insurance, typically Homeserve’s policy, costing consumers over £100m per year.
- Preliminary Results 2012
- HomeServe: History
- South Staffordshire plans to demerge water arm The Independent, 24 February 2004
- Homeserve buys France's SFG Yorkshire Post, 26 May 2009
- Homeserve deal for National Grid This is money, 15 April 2010
- Homeserve suspends telesales to probe mis-selling claim BBC News, 29 October 2011
- Repair Firm HomeServe To Shed 200 UK Jobs Sky News, 8 February 2012.
- Homeserve hit with record £750,000 fine by Ofcom over nuisance calls The Telegraph, 20 April 2012
- Homeserve to face FSA probe ShareCast, 22 May 2012
- Homeserve facing £34m FCA penalty BBC, 13 January 2014
- HomeServe: Home page
- Unnecessary water pipe insurance costs consumers £100m Which?, 17 April 2012
- Corporate site
- Homeserve companies grouped at OpenCorporates
- UK customer web site
- USA customer web site
- French customer web site