Horace Elva Tapscott (April 6, 1934 – February 27, 1999) was an American jazz pianist and composer. He formed the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra (also known as P.A.P.A., or The Ark) in 1961 and led the ensemble through the 1990s. Arthur Blythe, Stanley Crouch, Butch Morris, Wilber Morris, David Murray, Jimmy Woods, and Guido Sinclair all performed in Tapscott's Arkestra at one time or another. Tapscott and his work are the subjects of the UCLA Horace Tapscott Jazz Collection.
|This section requires expansion. (September 2012)|
As a leader
1978 Songs Of The Unsung
1979 In New York
1979 Lighthouse 79, Vol. I
1979 Lighthouse 79, Vol. II
1980 Autumn Colors
1980 At The Crossroads (w/Everett Brown Jr.)
1981 Live At Lobero, Vol. I (w/Roberto Miranda and Sonship)
1981 Live At Lobero, Vol. II (w/Roberto Miranda and Sonship)
1990 The Dark Tree, Vol. I
1991 The Dark Tree, Vol. II
1993 Arkestra Live in Chicago
1996 Aiee The Phantom
1995 Among Friends
1997 Thoughts Of Dar Es Salaam
1998 Dissent or Descent
Horace Tapscott Quintet
1969 The Giant Is Awakened
Horace Tapscott Sextet
1981 Dial 'B' For Barbra
With the Pan-Afrikan Peoples Arkestra
1978 The Call
1979 Horace Tapscott with The Pan-Afrikan Peoples Arkestra - Live At I.U.C.C.
1997 Flight 17
As composer and arranger
With Sonny Criss
- Sonny's Dream (Birth of the New Cool) (Prestige, 1968)
- Horace Tapscott at AllMusic
- "Horace Tapscott Jazz Collection". Jazz Archival Collections. University of California, Los Angeles. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- "Finding Aid for the Horace Tapscott Jazz Collection 1960-2002". Online Archive of California. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- Horace Tapscott Collection. UCLA. Performing Arts Special Collections.
- Horace Tapscott at Posi-Tone Records
- "A Fireside Chat With Horace Tapscott, by Fred Jung, from Jazz Weekly
- Listening In: An Interview with Horace Tapscott by Bob Rosenbaum, Los Angeles, October 1982 (PDF file)
- Dailey, Raleigh. The Dark Tree: Jazz and the Community Arts in Los Angeles (review). Notes Volume 63, Number 3, March 2007, pp. 632–634.
- Isoardi, Steven L. The Dark Tree: Jazz and the Community Arts in Los Angeles. Apr. 2006. 394p. illus. index. Univ. of California, $34.95 (0-520-24591-1).
- Isoardi, Steven L. Songs of the Unsung: The Musical and Social Journey of Horace Tapscott. Duke University Press, 2001.