IIT Stuart School of Business
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
|IIT Stuart School of Business|
|Established||1969 By Harold L. Stuart|
|Dean||Harvey Kahalas, Ph.D.|
|Student/Faculty ratio: 20:1|
|Location||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
IIT Stuart’s curriculum is centered on the concept of strategic competitiveness, composed of creativity, entrepreneurship, incisive decision-making, leadership, innovation, and sustainability. These components develop technical and quantitative expertise, with a broad foundation in the professional knowledge that is key to success in the global workplace.
IIT Stuart offers bachelor's, master's, doctoral, and non-degree programs, as well as graduate certificate programs. In addition to the MBA and MPA[disambiguation needed], Stuart offers Master of Science programs in Marketing Analytics and Communication, Environmental Management and Sustainability, and Finance. Stuart also offers dual degrees with Chicago-Kent College of Law, IIT Institute of Design and the IIT College of Science. Stuart also offers a Doctoral program in Management Science with concentrations in Finance and Operations.
IIT Stuart’s Master of Science in Finance program is designed to prepare students for careers in modern financial markets. The program is closely associated with Chicago’s financial industry through its faculty, alumni, and professional contacts. The program is taught by a team of 12 full-time faculty and a number of adjunct faculty drawn from the local financial services industry. One of the largest specialized finance programs in the United States, Stuart’s M.S. Finance program had 300 enrolled students in Fall 2013. Students can specialize in concentrations including: alternative investments, corporate finance, entrepreneurial finance, financial econometrics, financial engineering, financial markets, financial programming, high frequency trading, investment management, risk management, and trading. These concentrations provide students with focused knowledge in their preferred career area. IIT Stuart also provides a variety of extra- and co-curricular activities for students, including: Stuart Investments, CFA Competition, CME Trading Competition, and participation in professional societies. M.S. Finance was ranked 3rd in the United States, 7th in the careers category, and 27th globally overall in the 2014 Financial Times survey of M.S. Finance programs. Professor John F. O. Bilson is the director of the M.S. Finance program.
The graduate program in Public Administration encompasses the disciplines of political science and sociology, with special emphases in the fields of urban government and community affairs, policy analysis, organization and management of work, public finance, public safety, and nonprofit management. IIT has offered educational programs in public administration since the 1940s with Herbert A. Simon's groundbreaking, interdisciplinary work, and has awarded the Master of Public Administration (M.P.A.) degree, the most widely recognized professional credential, since the mid-1960s.
- 1969 Year of foundation of IIT Stuart School of Business.
- 1971 Year Full-time MBA program was founded.
- 1980 Year Part-time MBA program was founded.
- 1999 IIT Stuart achieved accreditation from AACSB, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
- 2005 Knapp Entrepreneurship Center founded.
- 2007 Center for Strategic Competitiveness (CSC) established.
- 2007 Year of foundation of Center for the Management of Medical Technology.
Stuart is accredited by the AACSB, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. As part of IIT, Stuart is also accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
A team of five students from IIT Stuart School of Business won the 2012 CFA Institute Research Challenge’s Americas Regional final, defeating teams from 45 universities to advance to the global final. The IIT team presented investment research and recommendations for Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA), which has an extensive portfolio of bar code, receipt, card and kiosk supplies, RFID printers, and real-time location solutions. The team’s work was based on interactions with Zebra’s senior executives, investment thesis and risks analysis, financial modeling, valuation, comparable benchmarking, and scenario creation. The global final included three other teams from Thailand, Sweden, and the United States, with IIT’s team representing the CFA Society of Chicago.
- Ranked 3rd in the U.S., 7th in the careers category, and 27th globally overall by Financial Times for M.S. in Finance program (2013)
- Ranked in the Global Top 100 for MBA program by the Aspen Institute
- Only business school in Chicago with a part-time Ph.D. program
- Ranked 25th for Mathematical Finance by Quantnet for our Master of Mathematical Finance joint program with IIT Applied Mathematics (2013)
- Ranked 22nd globally in sustainability and 50th in social impact in the Business as UNusual guide published by Net Impact (2013)
Departments and research centers
- Center for Strategic Competitiveness (CSC)
- Center for Financial Markets (CFM)
- Center for Sustainable Enterprise (CSE)
- IIT Leadership Academy
- Interprofessional Projects Program (IPRO)
- Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Masters of Science
- Environmental Management and Sustainability
- Marketing Analytics and Communication
- Professional Masters
- Mathematical Finance
- PhD in Management Science
- Dual Degrees
- MBA / MS (2 Years)
- MBA / MPA
- MDes / MBA (2 - 3 Years)
- MBA / MSF
- MS / JD
- MPA / JD
- MPA / BS (Political Science)
- Bachelor of Science
- Certificates programs
- Public Administration Certificates
- John Calamos ('65 MBA), Billionaire money manager
- Robert Growney ('74 BS ME, '82 MBA) President and Chief Operating Officer of Motorola
- Carl S. Spetzler ('63 BS CE, '65 MBA, '68 PhD) CEO Strategic Decisions Group.
- William P. Mahoney ('57 BS IE, '61 MBA)
- Ellen Jordan Reidy ('79 BS Psychology, 81' MBA) President and Founder of America’s Food Technologies, Inc.
- John J. Viera (61' MBA)
- Brandon Schauer (MDes/MBA) Design Strategist, Adaptive Path.
- Jordan Kahn (MS Financial Markets), CFA, Portfolio manager, Berger & Associates.
- Sujatha Perepa (MBA), Software IT Architect, IBM Federal Software Group.
- Natalie H. Vania (MS Financial Markets) Founder, Arshiya Ventures.
- "Herbert A. Simon".
- "AACSB Accreditation".
- "Americas Regional Final Champions".
- IIT Stuart Center for Strategic Competitiveness, http://www.stuart.iit.edu/csc/
- Center for Sustainable Enterprise
- IIT Stuart School of Business, official site
- IIT Stuart School of Business, official LinkedIn University Page