|• Mayor (2009–2014)||Willy Burghoffer|
|Area1||31.67 km2 (12.23 sq mi)|
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||66088 / 66130|
|Elevation||110–446 m (361–1,463 ft)
(avg. 160 m or 520 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Its inhabitants are called Illois.
The commune is situated in the Ribéral region along the route nationale 116 and is crossed by the Têt River (in the north), as well as by its tributary, the Boulès (in the south). It is one of the gateways to the Fenouillèdes region (towards Montalba-le-Château or Bélesta).
Places of interest
- Saint-Étienne Church
- Hospice d'Ille-sur-Tet (Hospici d'Illa in Catalan)
- The geological site of the Orgues d'Ille-sur-Têt
- Louis Amade (1915–1992) born in Ille-sur-Têt, writer, songwriter for Gilbert Bécaud, Édith Piaf…
- Jean Bardou, born in Ille-sur-Têt in 1799, industrialist
- Charles Dupuy, died in Ille-sur-Têt in 1923, President of the Council of Ministers under Presidents Sadi Carnot, Jean Casimir-Perier, Félix Faure and Émile Loubet
- Pierre Fouché, died in 1967 in Ille-sur-Têt, linguist
- Jean Galia, born in Ille-sur-Têt in 1905, rugby union and rugby league player
- Xavier de Gaulle (1887-1955), civil engineer (mines), Second World War résistant. Arrested but released as a veteran, the Vixhy regime sent him to Ille-sur-Têt as a tax inspector but he remained under police surveillance. He fled to Switzerland where in 1944 he was made Consul Général de France, a post he held until 1953.
- Paul Loridant, born in Ille-sur-Têt in 1948, Senator for Essonne
- Joseph-Sébastien Pons, 1886-1962, Catalan poet catalan, doctor of letters, thesis on « Littérature catalane en Roussillon au XVIIe siècle » (Catalan literature in Roussillon in the 17th century), professor of Spanish at the University of Toulouse
- Ramon de Siscar, former Spanish deputy
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ille-sur-Têt.|
|This Pyrénées-Orientales geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|