Interviews of Osama bin Laden
Since the early 1990s, several interviews of Osama bin Laden have appeared in the global media. Most prominent among these, according to the theorist Noam Chomsky, was an interview by Middle East specialist Robert Fisk. Like the videos of Osama bin Laden, the interviews' authenticity is sometimes regarded as suspect.
Bin Laden himself mentioned some of the interviews directly in the 2004 Osama bin Laden video, saying "you can read this, if you wish, in my interview with Scott in Time Magazine in 1996, or with Peter Arnett on CNN in 1997, or my meeting with John Weiner in 1998."
The Independent, 1993 and 1997
Peter Arnett of CNN interviewed bin Laden in March 1997 after Bin Laden declared jihad on the United States. Asked by Arnett, "What are your future plans?", Bin Laden said, "You'll see them and hear about them in the media, God willing".
A recorded interview in May 1998, a little over two months before the U.S. embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania, shows bin Laden answering questions posed by some of his followers at a mountaintop camp in southern Afghanistan. In the latter part of the interview, ABC reporter John Miller asks further questions.
Rahimullah Yusufzai, a journalist for Pakistan's The News, TIME, and ABC News, in 1999 secured a four-hour interview with bin Laden in Afghanistan's Helmand province. During Yusufzai's late-night conversation, bin Laden appeared to be in good health, though he admitted to a sore throat and a bad back. He continually sipped water from a cup, and Yusufzai caught him on videotape walking with the aid of a stick. This latter footage was erased by bin Laden's bodyguards. The interview appeared in the January 11, 1999 issue of Time Asia.
The Daily Ummat is said to have interviewed Osama bin Laden weeks after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States. In the interview bin Laden is said to deny his involvement in the attacks; the authenticity of bin Laden's responses have not been verified.
- Berube, Michael (2009). The Left at War. NYU Press. p. 62. ISBN 978-0-8147-9984-0. Quoted during interview by Radio B92
- "Full transcript of bin Ladin's speech". aljazeera. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Fisk, Robert (6 December 1993). "Anti-Soviet warrior puts his army on the road to peace". The Independent. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- Fisk, Robert (2001-09-15). "Osama bin Laden: The godfather of terror?". The Independent (London). Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- Fisk 1996 interview transcript
- "Peter Arnett: Osama bin Laden and returning to Afghanistan". CNN. 2001-12-05. Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- Arnett interview transcript
- "Interview". Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- "Wrath of God Osama bin Laden lashes out against the West". Time. 11 January 1999. Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- BBC: International Reports: Full text of Pakistani paper's "exclusive" interview with Usamah Bin-Ladin. Newsbank Archive.
- Associated Press: Bin Laden reportedly said group will thrive. September 28, 2001.