Iris (American band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
Reagan Jones and Andrew Sega
|Origin||Austin, Texas, USA|
|Genres||Synthpop, electronic rock, indietronica|
|Years active||1993 - present|
A Different Drum
|Associated acts||The Alpha Conspiracy, Stromkern, Low Technicians, CTRL|
|Past members||Matthew Morris|
Iris is an American synthpop band, formed by Reagan Jones and Mat Morris in 1993. After the release of their first album Disconnect, Matthew Morris was replaced with Andrew Sega, who pushed the band's sound into a more experimental electronic direction. Their latest album, Radiant, was released in October 2014.
The band was initiated in 1993 as Forgiving Iris, with members Reagan Jones (vocals/keyboards), Matt Morris (keyboards/programming). The two had met in college and, influenced by 1980s artists such as Erasure and Depeche Mode, began playing covers locally in Austin, Texas. In 1999 they changed their name to Iris and released their debut full-length, Disconnect, which netted them "Best Band" and "Best Album" awards at the American Synthpop Awards in 2000. Its single "Annie, Would I Lie To You?" was one of the best-selling records in label A Different Drum’s history.
After several shows that followed, Reagan Jones and Matthew Morris started having arguments about their musical direction. Morris became focused on his personal life, and wasn't interested into going back to the studio for the second album. He met Andrew Sega through the original singer of CTRL Joel Willard in 2001, and told him that Jones was looking for someone new to work with. Sega and Jones started working on some test tracks, the first of which would later become "Unknown". They felt that the chemistry between the two worked out so well that they started working on the new record that would become Awakening. Sega added guitars and pushed the band's sound into a more experimental electronic direction. They released their second album Awakening throughout Sega's new label, Diffusion Records. Their next record, Wrath (2005) took a more aggressive approach. Its first single, "Appetite" went No. 1 on mainstream radio in Poland. A European tour followed, including festivals in Moscow and London.
In 2008, Iris released their first CD/DVD combo, Hydra. It featured 3 brand new tracks, as well as remixes from bands like Mesh, Alpinestars, Datguy, Benz & MD, plus a 40 minute "behind the scenes" tour diary DVD.
In 2010, Iris released Blacklight through Infacted Recordings. After finishing its supporting tour in the U.S., the duo parted ways due to a tour argument. There was more than a year of silence between the band members, which ended when Jones sent Sega three demo songs. In 2014, Iris signed with Dependent Records and will release their latest album Radiant through the label.
- Reagan Jones - vocals, songwriting, keyboards
- Andrew Sega - keyboards, guitars, programming, production
- Matthew Morris - keyboards, programming, production
Additional touring members
- Iris [USA] - Demo 1.1 (1998)
- Disconnect (1999)
- Awakening (2003)
- Wrath (2005)
- Blacklight (2010)
- Radiant (2014)
- Reconnect (2003) - Remix album, accompaniment to Disconnect.
- Hydra (2008) - Remix album, also contains 3 original tracks ("New Invaders", "Stop Breaking Your Own Heart", "Nobody Wins") and DVD with interviews, live shows cuts etc.
- "Annie, Would I Lie To You?" (1998)
- "Lose In Wanting" (1999)
- "Saving Time" (1999)
- "Danger Is The Shame" (2000)
- "Unknown" (2002)
- "It Generates" (2006)
- "Hell's Coming With Me / Appetite" (2006)
- "Lands Of Fire 2008" (2008)
- "Closer To Real" (2010)
- Iris at Allmusic
- Augustini, Petrit (July 19, 2011). "Andrew "Necros" Sega Interview". necros.gibdon.com. Archived from the original on July 17, 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- "Iris - The future of synthpop is assured". Side-Line. 16 Jan 2004. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "IRIS have just finished their new album: RADIANT, a manifest of intense electronic craftmanship". Dependent Records. August 9, 2014. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- "Radiant". Dependent Records. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Dependent sign Iris: new album „Radiant“ almost completed!". Peek a Boo. April 23, 2014. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- Official website
- Iris on Myspace
- Iris at AllMusic
- Iris discography at MusicBrainz
- Iris discography at Discogs