Isabelle Stengers (//; French: [stɑ̃ɡɛʁs]; born 1949) is a Belgian philosopher and daughter of historian Jean Stengers. Stengers graduated with a degree in chemistry from the Université Libre de Bruxelles. She is the author of books on Chaos Theory, with Ilya Prigogine, the Russian-Belgian physical chemist and Nobel Laureate noted for his work on dissipative structures, complex systems, and irreversibility, especially Order out of Chaos and The End of Certainty: Time, Chaos and the New Laws of Nature. Stengers and Prigogine often draw from the work of Deleuze; treating him as an important philosophical source to think through questions regarding irreversibility and the universe as an open system.
Professor Stengers' research interests include the philosophy of science and the history of science. Stengers holds her Professorship in the Philosophy of Science at the Université Libre de Bruxelles and received the grand prize for philosophy from the Académie Française in 1993. Stengers has written on English philosopher Alfred North Whitehead; other work has included Continental philosophers such as Michel Serres, Gilbert Simondon and Gilles Deleuze. Stengers has also collaborated with psychiatrist Leon Chertok, and the sociologist of science Bruno Latour.
- La Nouvelle Alliance (1979), together with Ilya Prigogine
- Prigogine I and Stengers I Order out of Chaos, University of Michigan: Bantam Books (1984)
- Stengers I and Chertok L, "A critique of psychoanalytic reason: hypnosis as a scientific problem from Lavoisier to Lacan", Noel Evans M (trans.), Stanford: Stanford University Press (1992)
- Prigogine I and Stengers I The End of Certainty: Time, Chaos and the New Laws of Nature, Free Press (1997)
- Stengers I, Power and Invention: Situating Science, Bains P (trans.), Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press (1997)
- Stengers I, The Invention of Modern Science, Smith D.W (trans.), Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press (2000)
- Stengers I "Cosmopolitics I", Bononno, R (trans.), Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press (2010)
- Stengers I and Pignarre P Capitalist Sorcery: Breaking the Spell, Goffey A (Trans.), Palgrave Macmillan (2011)
- Stengers I, Thinking with Whitehead: a free and wild creation of concepts. Harvard University Press. 2011. (translation of original: Penser avec Whitehead, 2002).
- Order out of Chaos, University of Michigan: Bantam Books (1984) and The End of Certainty: Time, Chaos and the New Laws of Nature, Free Press (1997)
- See: http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/S/stengers_cosmopoliticsI.html and http://www.v2.nl/archive/people/isabelle-stengers
- See: http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/S/stengers_science.html
- Penser avec Whitehead, Paris, Le Seuil, « L’ordre philosophique », 2002.
- A critique of psychoanalytic reason: hypnosis as a scientific problem from Lavoisier to Lacan, Noel Evans M (trans.), Stanford: Stanford University Press (1992)
- See: Latour's foreword to Stengers' Power and Invention, http://www.bruno-latour.fr/sites/default/files/P-70%20Stengers-foreword.pdf