|Born||July 6, 1966
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Occupation||Professor and Director of the Program for Jewish Civilization, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University|
Jacques Berlinerblau is associate professor and Director of the Program for Jewish Civilization at the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. He has doctorates in Ancient Near Eastern languages and literature (from NYU) and theoretical sociology (from the New School for Social Research). He has published on a wide variety of scholarly subjects with special attention to heresy, atheism, secularism, Jewish-American literature and biblical literature.
Berlinerblau hosts and produces the show Faith Complex which is described as "a dialogue about the intersection of religion, politics and art." In 2010 he launched a second show with The Washington Post's Sally Quinn entitled "The God Vote" which focuses on news cycle issues involving faith and politics. In addition to this work in visual media, Berlinerblau blogged for The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Brainstorm" page between 2010-2012. He wrote about secularism, literature, and various subjects in higher education. His work on religion and politics and the 2012 election also appeared in the HuffingtonPost.
Outside of his usual publications in scholarly areas of interest, Berlinerblau has in recent years turned his attention to the interview format.
His guests in the arts have included:
- Georgetown Professor Michael Eric Dyson discussing hip-hop theology
- Director of the Washington Ballet Septime Webre on homophobia and ballet
- Novelist Cynthia Ozick
- Novelist Gary Shteyngart
- Novelist David Bezmozgis
- Novelist Lara Vapnyar
- Dr. Derek Parker Royal (founder of the Philip Roth Society)
- Literary critics Adam Kirsch and Liel Leibovitz discussing Philip Roth’s career;
Some of his interview subjects in the political sphere have included:
- The former President of Poland, Aleksander Kwaśniewski
- The former Prime Minister of Spain, José Maria Aznar
- Congressman Jim Moran
- The Special Envoy to Combat and Monitor Anti-Semitism, Hannah Rosenthal
- Heresy in the University: The Black Athena Controversy and the Responsibilities of American Intellectuals (1999, Rutgers University Press) ISBN 0-8135-2588-8
- The Secular Bible: Why Nonbelievers Must Take Religion Seriously (2005, Cambridge University Press) ISBN 0-521-61824-X
- The Vow and the 'Popular Religious Groups' of Ancient Israel: A Philological & Sociological Inquiry (1996, Sheffield Academic Press) ISBN 1-85075-578-7
- Thumpin’ It: The Use and Abuse of the Bible in Today’s Presidential Politics (2008, Westminster John Knox) ISBN 978-0-664-23173-6
- How to be Secular: A Field Guide for Religious Moderates, Atheists and Agnostics (2012, Houghton-Mifflin Harcourt) ISBN 978-0-547-47334-5
- Berlinerblau, Jacques. "Georgetown/On Faith Archive, Category - The God Vote". Newsweek.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "On Faith: A forum for news and opinion on religion and politics". Newsweek.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Berlinerblau, Jacques (2012-07-12). "What Is Secular Art? - Brainstorm". Chronicle.com. The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Jacques Berlinerblau". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Michael Eric Dyson on Hip-Hop Theology". Pjcmedia.org. 2011-10-28. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Septime Webre Discusses Male Ballet Dancers". Pjcmedia.org. 2011-09-16. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- ""Everytihng Else is Advertising" : A Conversation with David Bezmozgis" (PDF). Pjcmedia.org. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- ""What Makes a Russian Jewish American Writer?" An Interview with Author Lara Vapnyar". Pjcmedia.org. 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "What We Talk about When We Talk about Philip Roth". Pjcmedia.org. 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Liel Leibovitz vs. Adam Kirsch on Philip Roth". Tablet Magazine. 2013-03-21.
- "Faith Complex Aleksander Kwaśniewski on Poland DELETE". YouTube. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Faith Complex José Maria Aznar on Turkey and the European Union". YouTube. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Quinn, Sally. "Under God: The God Vote: 'Sacrilege' at the National Portrait Gallery - Elizabeth Tenety". Onfaith.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Hannah Rosenthal on Current Trends in Anti-Semitism". Pjcmedia.org. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jacques Berlinerblau|