James Belich (historian)
James Belich in 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Staff profile at Oxford University
James Christopher Belich, ONZM (born 1956), is a New Zealand historian, known for his work on the New Zealand Wars and on New Zealand history more generally. One of his major works on the 19th-century clash between Māori and Pākehā, the "revisionist" study The New Zealand Wars (1986), was also published in an American edition and adapted into a television series and DVD.
He lectured at Victoria University of Wellington for several years before moving to the University of Auckland. In 2007 he was appointed Professor of History at the Stout Research Centre for New Zealand Studies at Victoria University.
I Shall Not Die': Titokowaru's War (1990), based on his MA thesis, was also highly praised, winning the Adam Award for New Zealand literature.
Belich has written a two-volume work A History of the New Zealanders, consisting of Making Peoples (1996) and Paradise Reforged (2001).
He expanded his area of research to colonial societies in general with Replenishing the earth (2009).
Awards and honours
- Titokowaru's War and Its Place in New Zealand's History. MA Thesis. Victoria University of Wellington, 1979.
- New Zealand Wars 1845-1870: An Analysis of Their History and Interpretation. 1982. PhD Thesis. Nuffield College/Oxford University
- I Shall Not Die: Tītokowaru’s war, New Zealand, 1868-9. Bridget Williams Books, 1993. ISBN 0-04-614022-0
- Making Peoples: A History of the New Zealanders from Polynesian Settlement to the End of the Nineteenth Century. Penguin, 2007. ISBN 978-0-14-300704-3
- The New Zealand Wars and the Victorian Interpretation of Racial Conflict. Auckland University Press, 1986. ISBN 1-86940-002-X
- Paradise Reforged: A History of the New Zealanders from the 1880s to the Year 2000. University of Hawai’i Press, 2001. ISBN 0-8248-2542-X
- Replenishing the Earth: The Settler revolution and the rise of the Anglo-world, 1783-1939. Oxford University Press, 2009. ISBN 9780199297276
- Belich, James (1998). The New Zealand Wars (1998 ed.). Auckland: Penguin. pp. 10, 11. ISBN 0-14-027504-5.
- "Professor James Belich". Faculty of History website. Oxford University. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- Belich, James (2009). Replenishing the Earth: The Settler Revolution and the Rise of the Anglo-world, 1783–1939. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 573. ISBN 978-0-19-929727-6. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "Historian James Belich heads to Oxford". stuff.co.nz. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "Previous winners". Creative New Zealand. Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- "Catalogue". victoria.lconz.ac.nz. 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James Belich.|
- Victoria University of Wellington Stout Research Centre page[dead link]
- University of Auckland website[dead link]
- University of Auckland personal page[dead link]
- Profile on the New Zealand Book Council website
- Staff page at Oxford University