Jenny Jones (snowboarder)
3 July 1980 |
|Height||5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)|
|Weight||134 lb (61 kg)|
|Achievements and titles|
|Olympic finals||2014 (3rd)|
Jenny Jones (born 3 July 1980) is a British professional snowboarder and became the first Briton to win an Olympic medal in a snow event after winning bronze in slopestyle at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Jones was born in Downend, Bristol. She attended the Ridings High School, a large secondary school located in the village of Winterbourne in South Gloucestershire. Having competed in athletics (400m, long jump, cross country) and gymnastics at school, aged 17 she learnt to ski on the dry ski slope in Churchill, Somerset, after they offered free skiing lessons.
After leaving college Jones spent a season working as a chalet maid in Tignes, France, beginning a cycle of snowboarding in the winter and surfing in the summer in Devon and Cornwall, which she funded via part-time jobs including inspecting cardboard in a factory and teaching fencing to children.
Jones won the X Games USA Gold in 2009 and 2010, and the X Games Europe Gold in 2011. In August 2013 Jones scored her first podium finish in a round of the FIS Snowboard World Cup, winning a silver in slopestyle in the 2013–14 season opening meeting in New Zealand.
In October 2014 she started presenting Jenny Jones' Extreme, a monthly radio series for BBC Radio 5 Live showcasing extreme sports. In December 2014 she was announced as one of the coaches for the second series of Channel 4's celebrity winter sports competition The Jump.
- "Jenny Jones". British Ski and Snowboarding. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Jenny Jones wins snowboard slopestyle bronze medal at Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics". The Daily Telegraph. 9 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Sochi 2014: Jenny Jones wins historic British slopestyle bronze". BBC Sport. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- UPDATE 1-Olympics-Snowboarding-Snow joke – Britain wins a medal at last | Reuters
- "Emotional Jones collects bronze and earns place in history". TEAM GB. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Jenny Jones – the story of an Olympic medallist". BBC Sport. 9 February 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Jenny Jones wins slopestyle silver for Britain at World Cup". BBC Sport. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Sochi 2014: Jenny Jones relishes historic bronze medal for GB". BBC Sport. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Jenny Jones’ Extreme - new on Radio 5 live". bbc.co.uk. 16 October 2014. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "C4 announces the line-up of daring celebs in training for The Jump". channel4.com. 10 December 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2015.