|James J. Schmitt|
|41st mayor of Green Bay, Wisconsin|
|Preceded by||Paul Jadin|
June 7, 1958 |
Two Rivers, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Dona Degenhardt Schmitt|
|Occupation||Businessman, legislator, politician|
James J. "Jim" Schmitt (born June 7, 1958) is an American politician and businessman.
In the private sector, Schmitt was president of Famis Manufacturing Inc. and received the Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce Small Business Entrepreneur of the Year award.
Schmitt served two consecutive terms on the Brown County Board of Supervisors.[when?] On April 1, 2003 he was elected the 41st mayor of Green Bay, Wisconsin, succeeding Paul Jadin who had not sought re-election.
In 2007, Schmitt was re-elected, winning 70% of the vote. He won re-election again in April 2011, and is now the second longest serving mayor in Green Bay's history. He serves on the Advisory Board of both the U.S. Conference of Mayors and the League of Wisconsin Municipalities.
On February 17, 2015, Schmitt received 51 percent of the vote in a three-way primary. He will face alderman Tom DeWane, who serves as City Council president, who received 37 percent, on April 7, 2015. If elected to his fourth term, Schmitt could extend his tenure to 16 years and overtake Sam Halloin as the longest-serving mayor in Green Bay history.
The fourth of 11 children born to James and Mary (née Gleichner) Schmitt in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, he attended Roncalli High School, St. Norbert College, and Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government.
In 2011 he was recognized by the Green Bay Press-Gazette editorial board as Person of the Year. In early January 2015, the Gazette reported that Mayor Schmitt's campaign finance reports from the previous three years show donations of about $120,000, with about $10,000 exceeding the legal campaign contribution permitted in Green Bay of $1,040.57. These donations came from at least two corporations and several from individual donors. The Schmitt campaign later stated that some donations had been improperly entered.
James J. Schmitt married Dona Degenhardt on May 26, 1990. They have three daughters, and had one child who died in infancy.
- "About the Mayor", greenbaywi.gov; accessed January 30, 2015.
- "Alliance Cities Elect New Mayors". The Wisconsin Alliance of Cities. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- Primary results, wrn.com; accessed February 23, 2015.
- Schmitt and DeWane to face each other, greenbaypressgazette.com; accessed February 23, 2015.
- "James J. Schmitt profile". City of Green Bay. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- "Editorial: Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt named Person of the Year". Gannett. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- "Mayor Schmitt's campaign shows $10K in illegal contributions", greenbaypressgazette.com; accessed January 30, 2015.
|Mayor of Green Bay, Wisconsin
2003 - present