1971 - Construction on the John A. Prior Health Sciences Library Building was completed in August 1971. The building was renamed to Prior Hall in 2011.
2007 - The Health Sciences Center for Global Health was added to the first floor.
2009 - A coffee bar named The Caffeine Element opened on the first floor. The Center for Clinical and Translational Science was added to the second floor.
2010 - Two floors were added onto the top of Prior Hall to house academic and clinical departments.
The mural on the first floor of Prior Hall was created by Marguerite Gaudin of the Willet Studio in Philadelphia. Artists for the mosaic were Costante Crovatto, Giovanni Travisanutto, and Nicky Milanese. Installed in 1974, it is the centerpiece of the first floor. The mural shows the development of human communication across time.
The theme was developed by a committee within the College of Medicine composed of Georgr Hahn, Dr. Richard Meiling, Dr. Karl Klassen, Dr. John Prior, and Dr. Donald Westra.
Measuring sixty-seven feet long and nine feet tall the colorful mural uses marble, colored cubes of silica metallic oxides, glass cubes with gold leaf veneer and onyx. Before the building renovation in 1996, the mural was along a dimly lit exterior walkway. Part of the renovation process involved cleaning and restoring the mural.
- The Ohio State University Board of Trustees Academic Affairs and Student Life Committee Meeting Minutes November 4, 2011
- Columbus Dispatch Magazine 1974, September 1
- Ellwood, V. (1997). Past and Future Meet in New Health Sciences Library. College of Medicine Journal 46(2):12-14
- The Medical Heritage Center
- 2007 Innovation Award by the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL)
- OSU Wexner Medical Center
- Willet Studios