John Howard (author)
John Howard is an English author, born in London in 1961. His fiction has appeared in several anthologies and the collections The Silver Voices, Written by Daylight, and Cities and Thrones and Powers. The majority of Howard’s stories have central and eastern European settings; many are set in the fictional Romanian town of Steaua de Munte. The Defeat of Grief is a novella set in Steaua de Munte and the real Black Sea resort of Balcic; Numbered as Sand or the Stars attempts a 'secret history' of Hungary between the World Wars.
Secret Europe is a collection jointly written with Mark Valentine comprising 25 short stories set in a variety of real and fictional European locations. Ten of the stories are by Howard and fifteen by Valentine.
Between 2003 and 2007 John Howard collaborated on eight short stories with Mark Valentine, six of which featured Valentine’s long-running series character The Connoisseur, an occult detective whose real name is never revealed. All 23 tales of The Connoisseur, including the collaborations, were reprinted in The Collected Connoisseur (Tartarus Press, 2010).
John Howard has written articles for numerous magazines including Book and Magazine Collector, Supernatural Tales, Wormwood, Studies in Australian Weird Fiction, and All Hallows for the Ghost Story Society. He contributed essays to the Fritz Leiber special issue of Fantasy Commentator (No. 57/58, 2004) and to the books Black Prometheus: A Critical Study of Karl Edward Wagner (Gothic Press, 2007), Fritz Leiber: Critical Essays (McFarlane, 2008), and The Man Who Collected Psychos: Critical Essays on Robert Bloch (McFarlane, 2009), all edited by Benjamin Szumskyj. In 2013 Howard took over the review column Camera Obscura in Tartarus Press' journal Wormwood.
John Howard also wrote the introductions to new editions of the macabre novels Cold Harbour (1924) by Francis Brett Young (Ash-Tree Press, 2007) and The Killer and the Slain (1942) by Hugh Walpole (Valancourt Books, 2014).
Books: Short stories and novellas
- The Rite of Trebizond and Other Tales (with Mark Valentine), Bucharest: Ex Occidente Press 2008
- The Collected Connoisseur (with Mark Valentine), Leyburn: Tartarus Press 2010
- The Silver Voices, Bucharest: Ex Occidente Press 2010
- The Defeat of Grief, Bucharest: Passport Levant 2010
- Secret Europe, Bucharest: Exposition Internationale 2012
- Numbered as Sand or the Stars, Bucharest: Exposition Internationale 2012
- Written by Daylight, Dublin: Swan River Press 2013
- Cities and Thrones and Powers, Bucharest: Les Editions de l'Oubli 2013
- The Emperor's Pavement: Pages from a Berlin Daybook, Bucharest: Les Editions de l'Oubli 2013
- ‘Where Once I Did My Love Beguile’ in Beneath the Ground edited by Joel Lane, Alchemy Press 2003
- Portrait in an Unfaded Photograph in Cinnabar's Gnosis: A Homage to Gustav Meyrink edited by D.T. Ghetu, Ex Occidente Press 2009
- A Flowering Wound in Never Again edited by Allyson Bird & Joel Lane, Grey Friar Press 2010
- Red Green Black White in The Master in Cafe Morphine: A Homage to Mikhail Bulgakov edited by D.T. Ghetu, Ex Occidente Press 2011
- Out to Sea in The Touch of the Sea edited by Steve Berman, Lethe Press 2012
- Silver on Green in This Hermetic Legislature: A Homage to Bruno Schulz edited by D.T. Ghetu & D.P. Watt, Ex Occidente Press 2012
- Fac Man in Icarus: The Magazine of Gay Speculative Fiction Issue 13 (Summer 2012)
- Winter's Traces in The First Book of Classical Horror Stories edited by D.F. Lewis, Megazanthus Press 2012
- Time and the City in The Alchemy Press Book of Ancient Wonders edited by Jan Edwards & Jenny Barber, Alchemy Press 2012
- Into an Empire in Sacrum Regnum Issue II (2013) edited by Daniel Corrick & Mark Samuels, Hieroglyphic Press 2013
- Embrace the Fall of Night in Horror Without Victims edited by D.F. Lewis, Megazanthus Press 2013
- To the Anhalt Station in Rustblind and Silverbright edited by David Rix, Eibonvale Press 2013
- The Shape and Colour of the Moon in Sorcery and Sanctity: A Homage to Arthur Machen edited by Daniel Corrick & Mark Samuels, Hieroglyphic Press 2013
- Buried Shadows in Second City Scares: A Horror Express Anthology edited by Marc Shemmans, Horror Express Publications 2013
- Ziegler Against the World in Transactions of the Flesh: A Homage to Joris-Karl Huysmans edited by D.P. Watt & Peter Holman, Zagava and Ex Occidente Press 2013
- You Promised You Would Walk in Strange Tales Volume IV edited by Rosalie Parker, Tartarus Press 2014
Short stories (in collaboration with Mark Valentine)
- The White Solander in Masques and Citadels by Mark Valentine, Tartarus Press 2003
- The Last Archipelago in Masques and Citadels by Mark Valentine, Tartarus Press 2003
- The Descent of the Fire in Strange Tales edited by Rosalie Parker, Tartarus Press 2003
- Jerusalem Keep in Sherlock Holmes: The Game’s Afoot edited by David Stuart Davies, Wordsworth Editions 2008
- The Rite of Trebizond in The Rite of Trebizond and Other Tales, Ex Occidente Press 2008
- Out of the Obelisk in The Rite of Trebizond and Other Tales, Ex Occidente Press 2008
- The Temple of Time in The Rite of Trebizond and Other Tales, Ex Occidente Press 2008
- The Serpent, Unfallen in The Rite of Trebizond and Other Tales, Ex Occidente Press 2008