|Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
from the 19th district
1999 – January 3rd, 2015
|Succeeded by||Jonathan Brostoff|
September 5, 1963 |
|Spouse(s)||Andrea Rowe Richards|
|Alma mater||Lawrence University,
University of Wisconsin–Madison
Jon Richards (born September 5, 1963) is an American attorney and former teacher from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, serving as a Democratic member of the Wisconsin State Assembly representing the 19th Assembly District since 1999 and currently serving as chairman of the Health and Healthcare Reform Committee. Richards announced on October 16, 2013, that he would run for Wisconsin attorney general rather than seek re-election.
Early life and education
Born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, Richards graduated from Waukesha North High School. Richards received his bachelor's degree from Lawrence University. Before earning his law degree from University of Wisconsin Law School, he attended Keio University in Tokyo, Japan.
Richards taught English in Japan and volunteered with Mother Teresa in Calcutta, India. He was a special prosecutor in the Kenosha County district attorney's office before being elected to the Wisconsin State General Assembly, where he has represented the 19th district since 1998. He served as Assistant Minority Leader from 2003-2007.
In October 2013, Richards announced he would run for attorney general in Wisconsin. He came in second in the Democratic primary election of August 2014, with 90,101 votes (33%) to 144,369 (52%) for Susan Happ, and 42,555 (15%) for Ismael Ozanne.
In that same primary, Jonathan Brostoff, an aide to state senator Chris Larson, was nominated for Richards' seat. Since Brostoff's only opposition is a Pirate Party candidate, it is believed that Brostoff is the prohibitive favorite to succeed Richards in the 19th district.
- Richmond, Todd. "Democratic Rep. Jon Richards announces candidacy for Wisconsin attorney general". StarTribune. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 2011–2012, Biographical Sketch of Jon Richards, pg. 33
- "Biography". Wisconsin State Legislature. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- Stein, Jason. "Rep. Jon Richards enters race for Wisconsin attorney general". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- Bergquist, Lee. "Election 2014: Allen, Brostoff, Wanggaard, Bowen win legislative primaries" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel August 13, 2014
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Follow the Money – Jon Richards
- Campaign 2008 campaign contributions at Wisconsin Democracy Campaign
|This article about a member of the Wisconsin State Assembly is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|