|Field||Painting, Sculpture, Installation art|
|Training||Carnegie Mellon University
Borofsky was born in Boston, Massachusetts. He received his Bachelor of Fine Arts at Carnegie Mellon University in 1964, after which he continued his studies at France's Ecole de Fontainebleau and received his Master of Fine Arts from Yale University in 1966. In the 1960s, Borofsky's art sought to interconnect minimalism and pop art.
On May 21, 2006, Mr. Borofsky received an honorary doctorate in Fine Arts from Carnegie Mellon, his alma mater.
Jonathan Borofsky's most famous works, at least among the general public, are his Hammering Man sculptures. "Hammering Men" have been installed in various cities around the world. The largest Hammering Man is in Seoul, Korea and the second largest is in Frankfurt, Germany. Other Hammering Men are in Basel, Switzerland, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Seattle, Washington, D.C. and Lillestrøm, Norway.
In 2004, the City of Baltimore, through its public arts program, commissioned Jonathan Borofsky to create a sculpture as the centerpiece of a re-designed plaza in front of Penn Station. The work is a 51-foot (15.5 m)-tall aluminum statue titled "Male/Female." For information on the controversy generated by Borofsky's Male/Female sculpture, see "Pennsylvania Station (Baltimore)"Pennsylvania Station (Baltimore).
In May 2006, Borofsky's "Walking to the Sky" was permanently installed on the campus of Carnegie Mellon University near the intersection of Forbes Avenue and Morewood Avenue in Pittsburgh. The piece was temporarily installed at Rockefeller Center during the fall of 2004 and in 2005 at the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas, Texas.
Major Permanent Commissions
- "Walking to the Sky" (2006). Pittsburgh.
- "Male/Female" (2004). Baltimore.
- "Ballerina Clown" (1989). Los Angeles.
- 2004 - Rockefeller Center, New York City
- 2002 - Fondazione Sandretto Re Rebaudengo, Cuneo, Italy
- 1999 - Kunstmuseum Basel; Remba Gallery, Los Angeles
- 1996 - Whitney Museum of American Art, New York City
- 1992 - Documenta 9, Kassel
- 1987 - Documenta 8, Kassel
- 1985 - Berkeley Art Museum, Berkeley, California
- 1984 - Stadel, Frankfurt
- 1982 - Documenta 7, Kassel
- 1981 - Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston, Texas
Hammering Man in Frankfurt
Man walking to the sky, Kassel
Ballerina Clown, in Aachen (Germany)
Walking Man in Munich
- Borofsky's website, borofsky.com
- Art Signature Dictionary, genuine signature by the artist Jonathan Borofsky Here are several examples of Jonathan Borofsky's signature.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jonathan Borofsky.|