Garcia at the New York PaleyFest 2014 for the TV show "Lost".
May 28, 1973 |
Jorge Garcia (born April 28, 1973) is an American actor and comedian. He first came to public attention with his performance as Hector Lopez on the television show Becker and later for his portrayal of Hugo "Hurley" Reyes in the television series Lost. Garcia also performs as a stand-up comedian. He more recently starred in the FOX television series Alcatraz, as well as playing a minor character on ABC's Once Upon a Time. Currently he stars as Jerry Ortega on Hawaii Five-0
Garcia was born in Omaha, Nebraska. His mother, Dora Mesa, is a Cuban-born professor, and his father, Humberto Garcia, is a Chilean-born doctor. He grew up in San Juan Capistrano in Orange County, California and went to San Clemente High School. He wrestled in high school, where he was given the nickname "Baby-Faced Killer". As a senior, he was selected by the faculty as "Triton of the Year", the highest award given to a graduating senior.
Garcia spent six years working at Borders Books and Music while auditioning. He was in a few commercials during that time. He later said that his first taste of street recognition came from starring in a Jack in the Box commercial which was aired frequently on local television. He began landing roles in television and film, but his career really took off when he played the role of Hugo Reyes (Hurley) in the television series Lost.
Garcia was the first actor to be cast on Lost after the producers saw him on Curb Your Enthusiasm the night before casting began, and created the character of Hugo Reyes specifically for him. García appeared in the second episode of the eighth season of Celebrity Poker Showdown, where he lost to Michael Ian Black. He was a contestant on an episode of Russian Roulette on Game Show Network. He missed a question about the Boxer Rebellion of 1900 and fell through the trap door.
Garcia is scheduled to star in the movie When We Were Pirates, for which he is also an associate producer. In the independent film, he will play a man named Jerry, who along with a group of close friends, learn that their childhood love of playing pirates helps them overcome some of the difficulties they face later in their lives. He is also seen singing in the studio for the upcoming project on an officially released YouTube clip. During Lost's run, Garcia wrote a blog about the show called Dispatches from the Island. He also hosted a weekly podcast, Geronimo Jack's Beard, in which he discussed the script of Season 6 along with his then girlfriend Bethany Leigh Shady.
Garcia is also featured on the front cover of Weezer's album Hurley, released on September 10, 2010. The album is named after his character from Lost. He performed as a guest vocalist at several Weezer concerts in 2010.
On 21 November 2010, Entertainment Weekly announced that Garcia was cast in the upcoming U.S. television series Alcatraz. On 23 November 2010, Garcia made a guest appearance on How I Met Your Mother's episode "Blitzgiving". In the episode references are made to Garcia's time on Lost.
In 2011, Garcia appeared as a recurring character in Mr. Sunshine, portraying a caretaker at the Sunshine Center. Starting in January 2012, Garcia portrayed Dr. Diego Soto, an Alcatraz expert, in the FOX series, Alcatraz. The show was a mid-season replacement for Fox's Terra Nova. Despite an impressive start, the series was officially cancelled by Fox on May 9, 2012, due to dropping viewership throughout its run. Garcia appeared on The Nerdist podcast posted June 18, 2012.
In 2013, Garcia played Steve Wozniak in the parody film, iSteve, produced for the Funny or Die website.
|1999||Tomorrow by Midnight||Jay|
|2000||King of the Open Mics||Meatloag|
|2002||The Slow and the Cautious||Teddy||Short film|
|2003||Tales from the Crapper||Racoon Head||Direct-to-video|
|2004||Our Time Is Up||Gardener||Short film|
|2005||The Good Humor Man||Mt. Rushmore|
|2006||Deck the Halls||Wallace|
|2014||Get a Job||Fernando|
|2015||The Wedding Ringer||Lurch / Garvey|
|2016||The Ridiculous Six|
|2000||The Wild Thornberrys||Ricardo (voice)||Episode: "Spirited Away"|
|2001||Spin City||Taxi Driver||Episode: "The Arrival"|
|2003||Old School||Jorge||TV movie|
|2003||Columbo||Julius||Episode: "Columbo Likes the Nightlife"|
|2003||Rock Me Baby||Vizzy||Episode: "Would I Lie to You?"|
|2003–04||Becker||Hector Lopez||13 episodes|
|2004||Curb Your Enthusiasm||Drug Dealer||Episode: "The Car Pool Lane"|
|2005||Higglytown Heroes||Dog Trainer Hero (voice)||Episode: "Me and My Shadow/Out to Sea"|
|2004–10||Lost||Hugo "Hurley" Reyes||114 episodes
ALMA Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Television Series (2006)
ALMA Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Television Series (2008)
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2006) (shared with cast)
Nominated — ALMA Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor - Television Series, Mini-Series or Television Movie (2007)
Nominated — Imagen Award for Best Supporting Actor - Television (2007)
Nominated — Imagen Award for Best Supporting Actor - Television (2008)
Nominated — Imagen Award for Best Actor - Television
Nominated — Scream Award for Best Ensemble (2009)
Nominated — Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Sidekick (2005)
Nominated — Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Breakout Performance - Male (2005)
Nominated — Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Sidekick (2006)
Nominated — Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Sidekick (2007)
|2010, 2014||How I Met Your Mother||Steve (The Blitz)||Episodes: "Blitzgiving" and "Gary Blauman"|
|2011||Mr. Sunshine||Bob Bobinson Bobert||3 Episodes: "Pilot," "Hostile Workplace" and "The Assistant"|
|2012||Alcatraz||Dr. Diego Soto||13 episodes|
|2012||Phineas and Ferb||Rodrigo||Episode: "Minor Monogram"|
|2012-13||Once Upon a Time||Anton, the Giant||3 Episodes: "Tallahassee," "Tiny" and "Lacey"|
|2013||The Ordained||Carlos||TV Movie|
|2013||Californication||Drug Dealer||2 Episodes: "Rock and a Hard Place" and "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"|
|2013||Maggie||Gaspar||2 Episodes: "Gaspar, the Friendly A.D.S.A." and "Gaspar, the Ambiguous"|
|2013||iSteve||Steve Wozniak||Internet Movie|
|2013–present||Hawaii Five-0||Jerry Ortega||Season 4 recurring, Season 5-present main cast|
|2014||Food Truck||Kyle||TV Movie|
- "Espectáculos - Jorge García lleva su vida real a "Lost"". El Universal. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "Jorge Garcia: TV’s most lovable castaway". Today.com. 2005-11-15. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "Interview for FMH Magazine Online, 2006". Jorge Online. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "Jorge Garcia On The Beverly Hills Playhouse Acting School". Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- "Jorge Garcia biography". Fandango. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- "Big man on the beach". Honolulu Star Bulletin. 2005-01-24. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "We Want Answers! Jorge Garcia", MAXIM, March 2006
- Itzkoff, Dave (2006-05-14). "On 'Lost,' the Castaway Who Stands Out Without Even Trying". The New York Times.
- "When We Were Pirates". whenwewerepirates.com. Retrieved 2014-12-28.
- "When We Were Pirates at IMDB". IMDB. 2014-08-23. Retrieved 2014-12-28.
- New Transmissions: News from the Lost world and beyond Lost: The Official Magazine Issue 24 (September/October 2009): p 10
- "Kanaal van whenwewerepirates". YouTube. 2008-06-10. Retrieved 2012-01-31.
- "Dispatches from the Island". Dispatchesfromtheisland.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-01-31.
- GJB (2010-05-25). "Geronimo Jack's Beard". Geronimojacksbeard.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-01-31.
- Koch, Karl (2010-08-25). "A Retraction from Brian". Weezer Band Blog.
- Ward, Kate (2010-11-21). "Jorge Garcia swims to J.J. Abrams' 'Alcatraz'". Entertainment Weekly.
- "How I Met Your Mother Recap: Blitzgiving". CBS.com.
- "Jorge Garcia Books TV Return". TVGuide.com. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "Jorge Garcia". nerdist.com. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- "ALMA Awards Recipients". ALMA Awards. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Funny Or Die (15 April 2013). "'iSteve". funnyordie.com. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jorge Garcia.|