José Ángel Valdés
|Full name||José Ángel Valdés Díaz|
|Date of birth||5 September 1989|
|Place of birth||Gijón, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|Real Sociedad (loan from Roma)|
|2012–2014||→ Real Sociedad (loan)||33||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
José Ángel Valdés Díaz (born 5 September 1989 in Gijón, Asturias), known as José Ángel or Cote, is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Real Sociedad on loan from A.S. Roma, as a left defender.
A product of hometown Sporting de Gijón's prolific youth system, Mareo, Cote made his first-team and La Liga debut on 8 February 2009, in a 1–3 away loss against FC Barcelona. He went on to still feature regularly for the duration of the season as the Asturians narrowly avoided a drop, adding a goal in a 3–2 home win over Deportivo de La Coruña.
In the 2009–10 campaign José Ángel appeared in another 13 matches for the first team, as it retained once again its top division status (15th position). In the following seasons, he continued battling for position with another club youth graduate, Roberto Canella, with both players appearing in roughly the same number of matches.
On 19 July 2011, Serie A side A.S. Roma reached an agreement with Sporting Gijón for the transfer of Ángel, joining compatriot Luis Enrique who had just been appointed team manager. He made his official debut on 11 September, against Cagliari Calcio.
José Ángel gained four caps for the Spanish under-21 team, his debut coming in 2009. He was selected by manager Luis Milla to the squad that appeared – and won – the 2011 UEFA European Championship in Denmark, being an unused squad member as RCD Espanyol's Dídac Vilà played all the matches and minutes.
- Spain U20
- Spain U21
- La Selección golea con Cote (Selección scores many with Cote); El Comercio, 30 June 2009 (Spanish)
- El Sporting aguanta el tipo pero no logra vencer (Sporting holds its own but does not win); El Comercio, 8 February 2009 (Spanish)
- Sporting Gijon 3–2 Deportivo La Coruña; ESPN Soccernet, 15 March 2009
- José Ángel y Canella, premiados con el 'Mets Bat' (José Ángel and Canella, awarded the 'Mets Bat'); Marca, 26 March 2009 (Spanish)
- La gripe frena a Canella (Flu stops Canella); La Nueva España, 21 November 2009 (Spanish)
- José Ángel, traspasado a la Roma (José Ángel, transferred to Roma); Sporting's official website, 19 July 2011 (Spanish)
- José Ángel vuelve cedido a la Real Sociedad (José Ángel returns to Real Sociedad on loan); Real Sociedad's official website, 5 July 2013 (Spanish)
- ITA – ESP 1:2 (0:0); Pescara 2009, 4 July 2009
- Sporting Gijón official profile (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- José Ángel Valdés – FIFA competition record
- Soccerway profile