Thomas in 2011
|No. 80 Jacksonville Jaguars|
|Date of birth:||June 27, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Stockton, California|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||250 lb (113 kg)|
|High school:||Lodi (CA) Tokay|
|NFL draft:||2011 / Round: 4 / Pick: 129|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 16, 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
Julius Dewayne Thomas (born June 27, 1988) is an American football tight end for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the fourth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He played college football and basketball at Portland State.
Early life and education
Thomas is the son of Greg and Toria Thomas. He has two brothers, Trenton and Marcus. Thomas graduated from Tokay High School in Lodi, California. Thomas graduated from Portland State University in Portland, Oregon with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration.
Thomas was a First-team All-Big Sky Conference selection in 2010. He ended the season with 29 receptions for 453 yards and two touchdowns for Portland State's football team. Thomas had not played collegiate football prior to 2010.
Thomas played four seasons for the Portland State basketball team. During his collegiate basketball career, Thomas set school records for career games played (121), career wins (78), and career field goals percentage (.663), and also participated on one Big Sky regular season championship team and two Big Sky tournament championship teams as well two NCAA Tournaments (2008 and 2009). He was twice named to the Big Sky All-Tournament team. As a senior, he averaged 10.8 points, 5.9 rebounds, and shot a school-record .671 from the field.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 4⅝ in||246 lb||33 in||10 1/4 in||4.64 s||1.62 s||2.63 s||4.31 s||6.96 s||35½ in||9 ft 3 in||16 reps||x|
|all from NFL Combine|
Thomas was selected in the 4th round, 129th overall, by the Denver Broncos in the 2011 NFL Draft. His rookie contract was four years and $2,420,000 through the 2014 season . It included a $384,000 signing bonus. Thomas had only one catch through his first two years in the league as he battled various injuries before erupting onto the scene in 2013. He scored his first and second career touchdowns in the season opener against the Baltimore Ravens on September 5, 2013. He followed up this performance in week two with a 6 catch, 47 yard performance that ended with a game-sealing touchdown. In week three he continued his scoring streak against the Oakland Raiders (3 catches for 37 Yards and a TD). He ended the season with 12 touchdown receptions, the most by any Denver Broncos tight end. Thomas and the Broncos reached Super Bowl XLVIII where he had 4 receptions for 27 yards, but lost 43-8 to the Seattle Seahawks.
In the first game of the 2014 season, the Broncos hosted the Indianapolis Colts. During that game, Thomas caught 3 1st half touchdown passes from quarterback Peyton Manning, tying former Bronco Shannon Sharpe's franchise record for the most touchdowns by a tight end in a single season game. The Broncos went on to win the game 31-24. On October 8, 2014 Thomas was fined $8,000 for a chop block on Cardinals defensive end Calais Campbell. On October 12, against the New York Jets, Thomas caught two touchdowns, tying Calvin Johnson's record of 9 through the first 5 games of a season.
|Year||Team||Games||Receptions||Targets||Receiving Yards||Receiving Yards per Reception||Longest Reception||Receiving Touchdowns||First Downs||Fumbles||Fumbles Lost|
Thomas is a Christian. Thomas has spoken about his faith saying, "When you're going through tribulations and it's one thing after another, it's easier to doubt your faith. It's easier to doubt the Lord. I never allowed that to creep into my mind. I thought, 'God brought me here for a reason.'...What I've learned is that no matter what you're going through, God has a plan".
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- "Julius Thomas, Portland State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com". CBSSports.com. 1988-06-27. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Portland State School of Business Administration: Impact Entrepreneurs 124; News". Pdx.edu. 2013-09-12. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "NFL Local Ties: Portland State's Julius Thomas goes from hardwood to the NFL combine | OregonLive.com". Blog.oregonlive.com. 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Julius Thomas, TE for the Denver Broncos at". Nfl.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Broncos' Julius Thomas in NFL now, but mom made him wait for football". Usatoday.com. 2013-09-12. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Julius Thomas". NFL Draft Scout.com. March 25, 2011. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- Florio, Mike (October 8, 2014). "Julius Thomas gets fined for hit on Campbell". NBCSports.com. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- Oehser, John. "Julius Thomas: Ready for the challenge". Jaguars.com. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Julius Thomas Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Klee: For Broncos' tight end Julius Thomas, faith drives his football".