With the Penguins in December 2013.
April 1, 1983 |
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||198 lb (90 kg; 14 st 2 lb)|
Tampa Bay Lightning
|NHL Draft||192nd overall, 2001
Jussi Petteri Jokinen (born April 1, 1983) is a Finnish professional ice hockey forward currently playing for the Florida Panthers (NHL). Drafted by the Dallas Stars in 2001 in the sixth round, 192nd overall, with which he spent his first three NHL seasons with, Jokinen has also played in the NHL for the Tampa Bay Lightning, Carolina Hurricanes and Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jokinen is of no relation to Olli Jokinen of the St. Louis Blues, but has a younger brother, Juho, who also plays ice hockey. Jussi Jokinen is widely considered shootout and faceoff specialist in the NHL. 
Jokinen was drafted by the Dallas Stars in the sixth round, 192nd overall, at the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. He spent his four seasons before his NHL debut playing for Kärpät of the SM-liiga, the top Finnish league.
In his rookie year in 2005–06, Jokinen gained a great reputation in the NHL as one of the top shootout specialists in the NHL. Until being stopped by Vesa Toskala, he was a remarkable nine-for-nine in shootouts before his first unsuccessful attempt. He can be seen pulling some unique dekes, such as the one-handed, slide-in goal (as made famous by Peter Forsberg) — also known as "The Paralyzer" — in shootouts.
On November 16, 2007, Jokinen scored four goals against the Colorado Avalanche in a 6–1 win.
At the NHL trade deadline, on February 26, 2008, Jokinen was dealt to the Tampa Bay Lightning, along with Mike Smith, Jeff Halpern and a 2009 fourth-round draft pick, in exchange for Brad Richards and Johan Holmqvist.
On February 4, 2009, Jokinen was placed on waivers by the Lightning and later, on February 7, 2009, was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Wade Brookbank, Josef Melichar and a 2009 fourth-round draft pick. During the 2009 Stanley Cup playoffs, on April 21, he scored the latest regulation game-winning goal in NHL playoff history, with 0.2 seconds remaining in the third period, as the Hurricanes defeated the New Jersey Devils 4–3 in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Quarter-finals.
On June 29, 2009, the Hurricanes signed Jokinen to a two-year contract worth $3.4 million ($1.5 million in 2009–10 and $1.9 million in 2010–11).
As of November 19, 2009, Jokinen has scored a total of 25 goals in 46 shootout attempts, with an impressive 54.3% success rate. Eight of those shootout goals were game-winners.
On March 26, 2013, Jokinen was placed on waivers by the Carolina Hurricanes.
On April 3, 2013, Jokinen was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a conditional sixth- or seventh-round pick in 2013. In his first game with the Penguins, Jokinen scored Pittsburgh's lone goal in regulation and tallied the only shootout goal for the team's 2–1 victory over the New York Rangers.
In the 2013–14 season, on October 8, 2013, Jokinen scored his first hat-trick with the Penguins in a 5–2 win over his former team, the Carolina Hurricanes. Jokinen enjoyed his most productive season since 2010, totalling 21 goals and 57 points in 81 games with the Penguins.
Regular season and playoffs
|2007–08||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||20||2||12||14||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||46||6||10||16||16||—||—||—||—||—|
|Competitor for Finland|
|2008 Quebec City|
|World Junior Championships|
|World U18 Championships|
- Kevin Allen (January 31, 2006). "Shootout is Jokinen's specialty". USA Today. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- "Star not lost without shootout". CBC.ca. 2006. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- NHL.com (2009). "Hurricanes acquire Jussi Jokinen from Tampa Bay". NHL.com. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- "Wild finish has Devils, 'Canes all tied up". National Hockey League. 2009-04-21. Retrieved 2009-04-21.
- "Canes Agree to Terms with Jokinen on Two-Year Deal". carolinahurricanes.com. 2009-06-29.
- "Jokinen's deft shootout skills set him apart". National Hockey League. 2009-11-19. Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- "Jussi Jokinen signs new contract with Karpat". Rotowire. 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2012-11-15.
- Rossi, Rob (April 3, 2013). "Penguins add Carolina forward Jokinen". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- "Endgame: Penguins 2, Rangers 1 (SO)". Pittsburgh Penguins. 2013-04-05. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- "Florida Panthers sign six free agents". Miami Herald. 2014-07-01. Retrieved 2014-07-01.