With the Penguins in December 2013.
April 1, 1983 |
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||198 lb (90 kg; 14 st 2 lb)|
Tampa Bay Lightning
|NHL Draft||192nd overall, 2001
Jussi Petteri Jokinen (born April 1, 1983) is a Finnish professional ice hockey forward who is currently playing for the Florida Panthers (NHL). Jokinen is of no relation to Olli Jokinen of the Toronto Maple Leafs, but has a younger brother, Juho, who currently plays for Kärpät in the Finnish SM-liiga. He is a shootout and faceoff specialist. 
Jokinen was drafted by the Dallas Stars in the 6th round, 192nd overall, in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. Jokinen spent his four seasons before his NHL debut playing for Kärpät of the SM-liiga, the top Finnish league.
In his rookie year in the 2005–06 NHL season, Jokinen gained a great reputation in the NHL as one of the best shootout specialists in the league. Until being stopped by Vesa Toskala he was a remarkable nine-for-nine in shootouts before his first unsuccessful attempt. He can be seen pulling some unique dekes, such as the one handed slide in goal (as made famous by Peter Forsberg) - also known as "The Paralyzer" - in shootouts.
On November 16, 2007, Jokinen scored four goals against the Colorado Avalanche in a 6-1 win.
During trade deadline day on February 26, 2008, Jussi Jokinen was dealt to the Tampa Bay Lightning along with Mike Smith, Jeff Halpern, and a 2009 4th-round draft pick in exchange for Brad Richards and Johan Holmqvist.
On February 4, 2009, Jussi Jokinen was placed on waivers by the Lightning and later on February 7, 2009, was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Wade Brookbank, Josef Melichar and a 2009 fourth round draft pick. During the playoffs, he went on to score the latest regulation GWG in NHL playoff history. With 0.2 seconds left in the third period, Jokinen and the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the New Jersey Devils 4-3 during game 4 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals on April 21, 2009.
On June 29, 2009, the Hurricanes signed Jokinen to a two-year contract worth $3.4 million ($1.5 million in 2009-10 and $1.9 million in 2010-11).
As of November 19, 2009, Jokinen has scored a total of 25 goals in 46 shootout attempts, with an impressive 54.3% success rate. Eight of those shootout goals were game-winners.
Jussi Jokinen signed with Kärpät of the SM-liiga during the 2012 NHL lockout. He had committed to playing there until the resumption of the NHL season.
On March 26, 2013, Jokinen was placed on waivers by the Carolina Hurricanes.
On April 3, 2013, Jokinen was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a conditional 6th or 7th round pick in the 2013 draft. In his first game with the Penguins, Jokinen scored Pittsburgh's lone goal in regulation and tallied the only shootout goal for the team's 2-1 victory over the New York Rangers.
In the 2013–14 season, on October 8, 2013, Jokinen scored his first hat-trick with the Penguins in a 5-2 win over his former team the Carolina Hurricanes. Jokinen enjoyed his most productive season since 2010 in totalling 21 goals and 57 points in 81 games with the Penguins.
On July 1, 2014, Jokinen signed a four-year free agent deal, worth $16 million with the Florida Panthers.
Regular season and playoffs
|2007–08||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||20||2||12||14||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||46||6||10||16||16||—||—||—||—||—|
|Competitor for Finland|
|Bronze||2008 Quebec City|
|World Junior Championships|
|World U18 Championships|
- Kevin Allen (January 31, 2006). "Shootout is Jokinen's specialty". USA Today. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- "Star not lost without shootout". CBC.ca. 2006. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- NHL.com (2009). "Hurricanes acquire Jussi Jokinen from Tampa Bay". NHL.com. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- "Wild finish has Devils, 'Canes all tied up". National Hockey League. 2009-04-21. Retrieved 2009-04-21.
- "Canes Agree to Terms with Jokinen on Two-Year Deal". carolinahurricanes.com. 2009-06-29.
- "Jokinen's deft shootout skills set him apart". National Hockey League. 2009-11-19. Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- "Jussi Jokinen signs new contract with Karpat". Rotowire. 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2012-11-15.
- Rossi, Rob (April 3, 2013). "Penguins add Carolina forward Jokinen". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- "Endgame: Penguins 2, Rangers 1 (SO)". Pittsburgh Penguins. 2013-04-05. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- "Florida Panthers sign six free agents". Miami Herald. 2014-07-01. Retrieved 2014-07-01.