|Kara Mia Dalkey|
Los Angeles, California
|Alma mater||Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising|
|Spouse(s)||John Barnes (divorced 2001)|
Kara Mia Dalkey (born 1953) is an American author of young adult fiction and historical fantasy. She was born in Los Angeles and has lived in Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Colorado, and Seattle. Much of her fiction is set in the Heian period of Japan.
She was married to author John Barnes; they divorced in 2001. She is a member of the Pre-Joycean Fellowship and of the Scribblies. She is a graduate of the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in Los Angeles.
Her works range from The Sword of Sagamore and Steel Rose to Little Sister and The Nightingale. The latter book is part of Terri Windling's Fairy Tale Series. Her short stories are featured in the Liavek anthologies, Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Firebirds Rising. Liavek was a shared-world series edited by Emma Bull and Will Shetterly. Ace Books published Liavek and thus many of the Scribblies' first short stories.
She is also a musician and has gigged extensively on electric bass (which she plays left-handed) and harmony vocals, with such bands as Runestone, the Albany Free Traders, and Nate Bucklin and the Ensemble (in Minnesota) and Relic and Voodoo Blue (in Seattle.) At different times she has also played drums, banjo and acoustic guitar. She is a songwriter, but her total output is low, and consequently no CD or other album is presently in the works.
- The Curse of Sagamore (1986)
- The Sword of Sagamore (1989)
- Little Sister (1996)
- The Heavenward Path (1998)
Blood of the Goddess
- Goa (1996)
- Bijapur (1997)
- Bhagavati (1998)
- Ascension (2002)
- Reunion (2002)
- Transformation (2002)
- "The Hands of the Artist" in Liavek, edited by Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, published by Ace Books in 1985.
- "Before the Paint is Dry" in Liavek: The Players of Luck, edited by Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, published by Ace Books in 1986.
- "The World in the Rock" in Liavek: Wizard’s Row, edited by Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, published by Ace Books in 1987.
- "Portrait of Vengeance" in Liavek: Spells of Binding, edited by Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, published by Ace Books in 1988.
- "A Prudent Obedience" in Liavek: Festival Week, edited by Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, published by Ace Books in 1990.
- "Lady of the Ice Garden" in Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction, ed. Sharyn November, published by Firebird Books in 2003.
- "Hives" in Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy, ed. Sharyn November, published by Firebird Books in 2006.
- "Flatland" in "Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction" ed. Sharyn November, published by Firebird Books in 2009.
- The Nightingale - Nominee - 1989 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for fantasy novel
- Heavenward Path - Nominee - 1999 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for children's literature
- "Lady of the Ice Garden" - Short list - The 2003 James Tiptree, Jr. Award
- Bio at Lunacat
- > Illustrated Bibliography
- Two reviews
- Five reviews at Steampunk.com
- Review of The Ascension
- Locus index to awards & nominations
- Stories by author
- Firebirds roundtable
- Tiptree short list
- Kara Dalkey at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database