Karnatak Lingayat Education Society
Karnatak Lingayat Education Society (Kannada: ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಲಿಂಗಾಯತ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ) was founded in 1916 by seven educated youth with the objective of bringing education to the Kannada-speaking region of the erstwhile Bombay Presidency and what is today the North Karnataka region. The founder life members of the KLE Society are:
- Shri S.S. Basavanal (7 November 1893 - 22 December 1951)
- Shri B.B. Mamadapur (24 July 1887 - 5 October 1976)
- Shri M.R. Sakhare (1892 - 1951)
- Shri H.F. Kattimani (1 June 1889 - 8 April 1964)
- Shri B.S. Hanchinal (18 March 1891 - August 1979)
- Shri P.R. Chikodi (February 1884 - 8 January 1961)
- Shri V.V. Patil (10 April 1888 - 3 July 1979)
Headquartered at Belgaum, KLE Society runs over 160 educational institutions in North Karnataka, South Maharashtra, Bangalore and New Delhi. Besides the educational institutions, it runs health care institutions including the super-specialty KLE Society's Prabhakar Kore Hospital and Medical Research Centre at Belgaum.
Intellectuals who were part of KLE Society in its early years
G.S. Paramasivaiah was a student of the Nobel-laureate Sir CV Raman was the first Principal of the Karnatak Science College, Dharwad. He was also the Secretary of KLE Society Belgaum. He played an important role in founding of Karnatak University.
In 1947, the government of Bombay Province made attempts to establish a university in Bombay Karnataka. As per the resolution No. 7914 of Education and Industries Department, the government of Bombay, a committee was constituted on 17 April 1947 to make recommendations regarding form, scope, constitution and jurisdiction of a university for Karnataka. (which meant Bombay Karnataka because Bombay Karnataka was a southern part of Bombay Province).
Lingayat educationalists like Prof. G.S. Paramasivaiah along with Prof S.S. Basavanal and Dr. S.C Nandimath were associated with the committee. The Karnatak University came into existence in 1949.
KLE University collaborations and MoU
- University of Illinois, Chicago, USA,
- University of Michigan, USA
- University of Missouri, USA
- Sunderland University, UK
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Malaysia,
- Copperbelt University at Republic of Zambia
- Rhodes University, South Africa, Middlesex University, UK
- University of Birmingham, Alabama, USA
- Christina Care Health Services, Delaware, USA
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, USA
- University of Colorado, Denver, USA
- John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA
- Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, USA
- University of California at San Francisco, USA
|This article about an education organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|