29 December 1977 |
Salford, Greater Manchester
|Residence||West Dulwich, London|
|Children||Otis James Roger Connerty|
|Awards||British Soap Award for Best Bitch
2004 Coronation Street
2005 Coronation Street
British Soap Award for Best Actress
2007 Coronation Street
Kate Connerty (née Ford) (born 29 December 1977) is an English actress best known for playing the role of Tracy Barlow in the long-running ITV soap opera Coronation Street from 2002 to 2007. Kate returned to Coronation Street on Christmas Eve 2010.
Ford was born in Salford, Greater Manchester. She attended Queen Elizabeth School in Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria and Blackpool and The Fylde College, Lancashire. She later trained at the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art
Connerty took on the role of Tracy Barlow in Coronation Street in 2002. She is the fourth actress to play the role of Tracy Barlow after Christabel Finch played her from her birth in 1977 to 1985, with Holly Chamarette taking over from 1985 to 1988 and Dawn Acton playing the role from 1988 to 1999. Connerty brought a darker side to the character in the programme, making her more "bitchy" than the simply misunderstood girl the other actresses portrayed.
In 2004 and 2005, Connerty was awarded a British Soap Award for "Best Bitch" for her work on Coronation Street and around the same time appeared in a high-profile poster campaign for PETA. In 2007, she was awarded two British Soap Awards, one for Best Actress and another for "Best Storyline", which was shared with Samia Smith and Bill Ward. Connerty left Coronation Street after her contract expired in April 2007. In June 2007, she filmed her first role after leaving Coronation Street, as Adele in Blue Murder, a detective drama.
She was chosen to advertise the Autumn 2007 Ortak Jewellery  range.
Kate Connerty is a strong supporter and active campaigner of the Anti Fur Trade in China. She participates in the Peta' campaign "boycott all fur" She is also a supporter of the Green Party of England and Wales.
Kate and Jon now live in West Dulwich SE21, South London.It was announced in January 2010 that Ford would be returning to Coronation Street on a permanent basis in 2010.
- "Tracy to Leave Weatherfield". ITV News. ITV. 1 August 2006. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "Corrie's Kate lands murder mystery role". My Village. 11 June 2007. Archived from the original on 12 July 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- Coutts, Martin (14 October 2007). "Kate stars in Wedderfield". The Mirror. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- Carnegie, Jo (17 October 2008). "Coronation Street's Kate Ford backs Mirror campaign to find Britain's maternity unit miracles". The Mirror. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- Kate for Peta
- "Kate Ford to return to Corrie". United Kingdom: The Press Association. 04.01.10. Retrieved 5 January 2010. Check date values in: