Katherine Prescott Wormeley
Katherine Prescott Wormeley (January 14, 1830 – August 4, 1908) was an American nurse in the Civil War, author, editor, and translator of French language literary works. Her first name is frequently spelled as "Katharine".
Born in Ipswich, Suffolk, England, the daughter of a naval officer, Katherine Prescott Wormeley emigrated to the United States at a young age. During the American Civil War, she, with noted landscape designer Frederick Law Olmsted and the Rev. Henry Bellows, played a role in the work of the United States Sanitary Commission, a civilian agency set up to coordinate the volunteer efforts of women and men who wanted to contribute to the war effort. The Commission was a volunteer affiliate of the Union Army. She served as a nurse with the Commission and was later head nurse at the Army Hospital at Portsmouth Grove near Newport, Rhode Island.
She was one of the best known translators of her time, having translated from the French language the complete works of Honoré de Balzac (40 vols., 1883–97) for American readers. She also translated the Narrative of Marie-Thérèse Charlotte de France, the memoirs of Madame de Motteville on Anne of Austria, as well as works by Molière (6 vols., 1892); Louis de Rouvroy, duc de Saint-Simon; Alphonse Daudet; and Alexandre Dumas, among others.
She also published The U. S. Sanitary Commission (Boston, 1863). A volume of her letters from the headquarters of the Commission with the Army of the Potomac during the peninsular campaign in 1862 was published as Letters from Headquarters during the Peninsular Campaign. The Other Side of War was published in 1888, and Life of Balzac in 1892.
- "Subjects of Biographies". Dictionary of American Biography. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons. 1990.
- Rines, George Edwin, ed. (1920). "Wormeley, Katharine Prescott". Encyclopedia Americana.
- Wilson, James Grant; Fiske, John, eds. (1889). "Wormeley, Mary Elizabeth". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: D. Appleton.
- http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=980CE2DB1E3DEE32A25752C0A9679D946397D6CF .
- http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F04E2DF1230EE32A2575BC2A9669D94689ED7CF .
- "Wormeley, Katharine Prescott". New International Encyclopedia. 1905.
- George M. Fredrickson (1965/1993), The Inner Civil War: Northern Intellectuals and the Crisis of the Union, reprint with new preface, Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- Selected list of works by Katherine Prescott Wormeley at Barnes and Noble
- April 16, 1898 New York Times article titled "War and Navies - Miss Wormeley's Volume on the Cruel Side of War"
- August 6, 1908 New York Times obituary for Katherine Prescott Wormeley
- Works by Katharine Prescott Wormeley at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Katherine Prescott Wormeley in libraries (WorldCat catalog)