Kenneth Hite (born September 15, 1965) is a writer and role-playing game designer.
Kenneth Hite has been writing games since 1981 and full-time since 1995. Some of his early design work was featured in the Nephilim role-playing game for Chaosium before the line closed down in 1997.:93 After working freelance, Hite came to Last Unicorn Games and joined in the developers working on the "Icon system" for their line of licensed Star Trek role-playing games; to get Star Trek: The Next Generation Role-playing Game ready for GenCon 31, Hite was flown out to Los Angeles for two weeks. After the design of Icon was done, Hite was made the line developer for the Star Trek: The Original Series role-playing game, and by 1999 he became a full-time employee of Last Unicorn Games.:315 In February 2001 Decipher, Inc. offered the remaining staff of Last Unicorn after their purchase by Wizards of the Coast; Hite eventually left and joined the Steve Jackson Games staff.:317-318
He writes the "Suppressed Transmission" column for Pyramid magazine, which has been collected into the volumes Suppressed Transmission: The First Broadcast and Suppressed Transmission 2: The Second Broadcast, as well as the "Out of the Box" column (previously for the GamingReport, now IndiePressRevolution).
Hite is also one of many contributors to the book Gamemastering Secrets, which won the 2002 Origins Award for Best Game Aid or Accessory. In 2008, Atomic Overmind Press published a few Cthulhu books Hite,:95 and he wrote Where the Deep Ones Are (2008) and The Antarctic Express (2009) for Atlas Games as parodies of children's books featuring the Cthulhu mythos.:260 is essay, “Cthulhu’s Polymorphous Perversity”, appears in Cthulhurotica, published by Dagan Books, December 2010.
In February 2008, Pelgrane Press published Hite's Trail of Cthulhu, a role-playing game using the GUMSHOE System developed by Robin Laws.:384-385 Hite won two silver ENnies in 2008 for his work on Trail of Cthulhu: Best Writing, and Best Rules (with Robin Laws). Hite has since added to the Trail of Cthulhu line with Shadows Over Filmland, Rough Magicks, and Bookhounds of London.
Hite wrote or contributed to several GURPS supplements:
- GURPS Alternate Earths
- GURPS Alternate Earths II
- GURPS Cabal
- GURPS Horror (Third Edition)
- GURPS Infinite Worlds (Winner of the 2005 Origins Award for Role-Playing Game Supplement of the Year)
- GURPS WWII: Weird War II
- GURPS Y2K
- Player's Guide (with Mathew Colville, Steven S. Long and Don Mappin) (2002)
- Starfleet Operations Manual (2003)
- All Our yesterdays (with Steve Kenson, James Kiley, S. John Ross and Steven S. Long) (2000)
- Planetary Adventures (1999)
- Secret Societies (for Nephilim) (1995)
- Major Arcana (for Nephilim) (1997)
- Gamemaster's Companion (for Nephilim) (with Shannon Appel, Adrian Czajkowski and Ross Isaacs) (1996)
as well as supplements for other role-playing games:
- Adventures Into Darkness (for Hero System and Mutants & Masterminds)
- Mage: The Sorcerer's Crusade (for Mage: The Ascension)
- Crusade Lore (for Mage: The Sorcerer's Crusade) (with Phil Brucato and Wayne Peacock) (1998)
- Cainite Heresy (for Vampire: The Dark Ages)
- Nightmares of Mine (for Rolemaster) (with John Curtis) (1999)
- Back East: The South (for Deadlands)
- Dubious Shards (which includes an adventure for Delta Green)
- Secrets of the Ruined Temple (for Mage: The Awakening)
- Day after Ragnarok (for Savage Worlds and Hero System)
- Wild Talents RPG (with Dennis Detwiller, Greg Stolze and Shane Ivey) (2010)
- Grim War (for Wild Talents RPG) (with Greg Stolze) (2010)
Hite has also written several books:
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to U.S. History, Graphic Illustrated (with Sheperd Hendrix) (2009)
- The Antarctic Express (with Christina Rodriguez) (2009)
- Cthulhu 101 (with John Kovalic) (2009)
- Where the Deep Ones Are (with Andy Hopp) (2008)
- Cliffourd the Big Red God (with Andy Hopp) (2011)
- Tour de Lovecraft: The Tales (2008)
- The Nazi Occult (with Darren Tan) (2013)
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- "Origins Award Winners (2002)". Archived from the original on 2007-08-26. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- "The GUMSHOE RPG". Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- "2008 ENnie Awards". Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-09-25.
- "Origins Award Winners (2005)". Archived from the original on 2007-08-30. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- Kenneth Hite's LiveJournal
- Kenneth Hite at the Pen & Paper RPG Database
- Interview at Flames Rising (July 2009)