|Born||Kidada Ann Jones
March 22, 1974
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Education||Fashion Institute for Design and Merchandising|
|Occupation||Actress, model, fashion designer|
|Spouse(s)||Jeffrey Nash (divorced)|
|Relatives||Rashida Jones (sister)
Quincy Jones III (half-brother)
Kidada Ann Jones (born March 22, 1974) is an American actress, model and fashion designer, who is best known for her work as a designer and taste leader for Walt Disney Company, where she has a line known as Kidada for Disney Couture.
Kidada Jones was born in Los Angeles, California, and is the elder daughter of composer/arranger Quincy Jones and actress Peggy Lipton. She was raised in Bel-Air, California, with her younger sister Rashida Jones, now an actress. Their father is African American. According to DNA testing and research done for African American Lives in 2006, he has more than one-third European ancestry, with some present on both sides of his family. Two-thirds of his ancestry is African and, in his mother's direct maternal line, his ancestors can be traced to the Tikar people of present-day Cameroon. Their mother is the daughter of an artist and businessman, descended from Jewish immigrants from Russia and Latvia).
She was recruited by designer Tommy Hilfiger, who launched a successful ad campaign centered on Jones and a group of her friends (including Aaliyah, Tamia, Kate Hudson, Nicole Richie and Oliver Hudson). She worked as his muse for eight years. Jones' fashion work included designing a clothing line for Snoop Dogg for three years. Jones also appeared during this period as a model in such fashion magazines as Elle, Vogue, and Harper's Bazaar.
Since 2005, Jones has been working with Walt Disney Company, designing for Kidada for Disney Couture. W magazine described this as "a line of clothing and jewelry for adults sold at boutiques" and said that Jones acts "as a conduit to hip tastemakers the brand might otherwise miss." According to Jim Calhoun, Disney’s executive vice president of consumer products, North America, "Kidada is not just one of those people that points out what’s cool. She has a real hand in making things cool." She also consults on Disney projects.
Marriage and family
- Marshall Heyman, "Not Kidding Around; Designer Kidada Jones has found fulfillment in an unlikely role: making Disney cool for grown-ups", W Magazine, Aug 2008, accessed 3 September 2013
- Riley, Shay (2010-09-19). "DID YOU KNOW? The Ancestry Of Quincy Jones". Booker Rising blog. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Lesley, By (2009-04-21). "Rashida Jones: Why the nepotism myth needs to be shattered". Metro.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- "Rashida Jones", Who Do You Think You Are?, May 4, 2012
- Miller, Gerri (2007). "The Daughter of Q". American Jewish Life Magazine. Genco Media LLC. Retrieved 2007-11-01.
- Goldman, Andrew (21 September 2012). "The Pop Diplomacy of Quincy Jones". The New York Times. Retrieved 26 April 2013.