Douglass-Ishizaka started playing the piano at age four, was a member of the Ishizaka Trio for 16 years with her brothers, and later graduated from Hochschule für Musik Köln. As a solo pianist, she has performed concerts throughout Europe, North America, and Japan, as well as appearing with the Beethoven Orchester Bonn, the Klassische Philharmonie, and the Jackson Symphony Orchestra (Michigan).
She is part of the Open Goldberg Variations, a Kickstarter-funded, and Bösendorfer-sponsored team that recorded Johann Sebastian Bach's Goldberg Variations and released the score and recordings into the public domain in May, 2012.
“Ishizaka's interpretation is characterised by straightforward musicianship, immaculate technical aplomb, and a warm, beautifully modulated sonority. Counterpoint passes back and forth between the hands in a conversational and judiciously balanced manner, while a strong lyrical impulse informs the cross-handed variations' rapid, bravura passages.” – Jed Distler, Gramophone Magazine.
In November, 2013, Douglass-Ishizaka and Open Goldberg Project completed another Kickstarter project to fund the recording of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier. The new recording, which will also be licensed into the public domain, is expected to be released in early 2015.
James Oestreich, reviewing for the New York Times, reported that Douglass-Ishizaka is a "gifted and obviously devoted Bachian" and that she "performed the 24 preludes and fugues of Book 1 from memory and without major flaw."
Douglass-Ishizaka was placed 3rd in the weight category < 82 kg in the 2005 German championships in powerlifting and in 2006 she was placed 2nd in the disciplines of bench press, squat and deadlift.
- "Kimiko Douglass-Ishizaka, Piano and Weightlifting", Westdeutscher Rundfunk. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- Hadel, Andreas (2005). "KDK DM05 Broschure". Power Training.
- "Biography", Kimiko Ishizaka web page. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Open Goldberg Variations - Setting Bach Free", Kickstarter. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "Bösendorfer Sponsors the Open Goldberg Project", boesendorfer.com. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "Open Goldberg Variations Raises $16,000 in 20 Days for 'Open Source Bach'", opengoldbergvariations.org, 25 March 2011. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- OpenGoldberg. "The Open Goldberg Variations Project - Setting Bach's Music Free", YouTube, 6 March 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- The Open Goldberg Variations Downloads"
- Distler, Jed (September 2012). "'Open Goldberg Variations'". Gramophone (Awards): 86.
- OESTREICH, James (September 12, 2012). "KIMIKO ISHIZAKA". New York Times.
- Conny Högg. "Beigeistert am Piano und überzeugt an der Hantel: Kimiko Douglass", Netzathleten Magazin, 08.12.2008. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- Nelie Satie. "Nach dem Scherenschnitt ein perfekter Auftrit". Gewichtheben DM Rodewisch. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kimiko Douglass-Ishizaka.|