|Broadcast area||London, Worldwide|
|Slogan||Kool with a K|
|First air date||1991|
|Format||Jungle, Drum n Bass, Old Skool|
Kool FM has stated that it has been "the very first pirate station ever to play Hardcore Jungle". Simon Reynolds called it "London's ruling pirate station" in an account of the beginnings of jungle music in the early to mid 1990s. Similarly, Billboard magazine referred to Kool FM as "leading jungle station" in a 1995 report about the genre.
In 1998, U.S. magazine Vibe compared it favorably to Kiss FM (a former London pirate radio station which had become legal): "Meanwhile, U.K. pirates like Kool FM and Hard FM continue to broadcast even better music without interference from authorities."
In 2007, Kool FM was featured on a BBC London News report about pirate radio station interference to the emergency services and their use of the airwaves.
The station celebrated its 21st birthday in 2012 and now broadcasts 24 hours a day, 90 percent of which is live
The station has won "Best Radio/Internet Station" at the Drum n Bass Awards numerous times, most recently in 2012. ( 13th time )
From August 2010, Kool FM was rebranded and now operates as an internet radio station, Kool London, providing a live audio stream of radio shows on its relaunched website. The site appears to be under active development with new features being implemented. Kool FM have also launched the Kool Archives, a Mediafire account that is regularly updated with recordings of the live shows and has recordings that span from 1992 to the present day.
- h i s t o r y on the home page of Kool FM Midlands (archived by the Internet Archive on 25 December 2001)
- Kwaku: Pirate UK Radio Propels Rising Soulful Jungle Style. Billboard, July 29, 1995 p.39
- Simon Reynolds: Energy Flash. Picador 2008, ISBN 978-0-330-45420-9, p.245.
- 1996 BBC Documentary on YouTube
- Vibe, issue 6, no.9, November 1998, p.110
- Ofcom tackles illegal broadcasting Ofcom News Release Archive, 3 November 2005
- 2007 BBC London News on YouTube
- Victoria Huntley: Pirate radio sunk from airwaves East London Advertiser, 23 February 2008
- Ofcom, police and London Boroughs take action against illegal broadcasting Ofcom News Release Archive, 19 February 2008
- 20 Years of Kool with a K
- Drum n Bass Awards 2012
-  Kool London new live online stream
-  Kool Archive (Mediafire account).
- Royal Academy of Arts
- Kool London at the Royal Academy of Arts, London