|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Ann Cryer|
|Born||8 June 1963|
|Residence||Oakworth, West Yorkshire|
Kristan Frederick (Kris) Hopkins (born 8 June 1963) is a British Conservative Party politician, who was elected at the 2010 general election as the Member of Parliament for Keighley in West Yorkshire. He is the current housing minister at the Department for Communities and Local Government.
Hopkins had stood twice for Parliament before being elected, when he was second to Linda Riordan in the 2005 election for the seat of Halifax, also in West Yorkshire and for the Leeds West Constituency in 2001.
In October 2013 he was appointed Minister for Housing.
Hopkins was described by Nadine Dorries (on her Twitter account) as "one of parliament's slimiest, nastiest MP's"; she also criticized Prime Minister David Cameron's decision to promote Hopkins to a junior ministerial post within the Department for Communities and Local Government as "a really awful decision".
In February 2014, Hopkins provoked 'gasps of astonishment' from Parliament's Work and Pensions Select Committee when he said that disabled victims of the so-called 'bedroom tax' were "set in their ways", and that some disabled people were having difficulty adjusting to the "cultural change" of how they spend their money
- LIST OF MEMBERS RETURNED TO SERVE IN PARLIAMENT AT THE GENERAL ELECTION 2010 London Gazette
- "Democracy Live: Your representatives: Kris Hopkins". BBC. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- "Election 2010: Keighley". BBC News. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Conservative MP Hopkins questions Sinn Fein expenses" news.bbc.co.uk 27 July 2010 Link retrieved 27 July 2010
- Watt, Nicholas (29 April 2012). "New Conservative MPs bid to oust old guard from key committee". The Guardian (London).
- Kelly, Liam (8 October 2013). "Reshuffle: Kris Hopkins appointed housing minister". The Guardian (London).
- Nadine Dorries launches Twitter attack on promoted Tory MP The Guardian, 12 February 2014. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Tory MP Kris Hopkins says disabled people hit by bedroom tax need to change their ways Daily Mirror, 8 October 2013. Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- Kris Hopkins Official website
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Keighley
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|