|Born||March 8, 1990|
|Origin||South Pasadena, California, U.S.|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, dancer, actress|
|Labels||Sodapop, Island, Universal, Manhattan Records|
Kristinia Jamie DeBarge (//; born March 8, 1990) is an American singer, songwriter, dancer and actress. She first appeared on national television in 2003 as a contestant on the American Idol spin-off, American Juniors. In 2009, DeBarge signed a contract with the Island Records department Sodapop, releasing her debut album, Exposed, in July of the same year. The first single, "Goodbye", reached the top 20 in the US and Canada.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Discography
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Life and career
Childhood and youth
DeBarge is the daughter of James DeBarge. DeBarge began singing when she was 3 years old, but did not begin to take it seriously until she was 12. When she was 12, her father took her into a recording studio where they worked until 4 A.M. recording a duet titled "How I Feel Inside", which made her father realize that she was serious about beginning a singing career.
During the summer of 2003 she was a contestant on the American Idol spin-off, American Juniors. DeBarge progressed to the semifinal round of twenty contestants. She was featured in the first group of ten semifinalists and sang the song "Reflection" from the Disney movie Mulan. However, she was not one of the five to progress from that group into the final ten.
At 14, DeBarge was introduced to Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds. She worked with him for five years and, two days before her nineteenth birthday, signed to a new division of Island Def Jam Records founded by Edmonds and Jeff Burroughs called Sodapop Records. DeBarge's first single "Goodbye" off her debut album "Exposed" was released in April 2009. "Goodbye" met with commercial success in the United States, the single debuted at number 75 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, and later reached a peak of number 15 on the chart. The single was also a success in Canada, where it reached a peak of number 15 on the Canadian Hot 100. Exposed, was released on July 28, 2009. Exposed received generally positive reviews from music critics, based on an aggregate score of 69/100 from Metacritic. In the United States, the album debuted at number 23 on the Billboard 200. DeBarge also opened up for pop singer Britney Spears, during Spears' 2009 world tour, The Circus Starring: Britney Spears.
2009–13: After Exposed and new album Young & Restless
In November 2009, The Wet Seal, Inc., a leading specialty retailer to young women, announced a partnership with DeBarge which included a collection of fashion pieces selected by DeBarge. In January 2010, DeBarge received an NAACP Image Award nomination for “Outstanding New Artist.”
In September 2012, DeBarge released her single "Cry Wolf" from her exclusive Japan album Young & Restless. In October 2012, the "Cry Wolf" music video was premiered on her VEVO artist page. On November 9, 2012, DeBarge made her acting debut in "Christmas In Compton" starring Keith David, Omar Gooding, Sheryl Lee Ralph and Eric Roberts.
On April 3, 2013, DeBarge released another single ("Ignite") from Young & Restless exclusively to Japan through Manhattan Records. The song peaked at number six one day after its release on the Japanese iTunes R&B Chart. On May 29, 2013, DeBarge released another single from the album, "Higher".
2014: Third studio album and School Dance
DeBarge was featured on Redrama's new single and music video "Let Go" on January 17, 2014. DeBarge and Redrama performed on live television for Finland's finals of the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 at the Barona Areena in Espoo on February 1, 2014. The single was a success in Finland, where it reached No. 1 on NRJ's Top 10 list on February 4, 2014 and No. 1 on Spotify on February 7, 2014. The single reached a peak of No. 3 on the Finnish Single Charts. On February 25, 2014, the single reached a peak of No. 1 on the Finnish Airplay Charts.
DeBarge's second acting role came on July 2, 2014 in Nick Cannon's directorial debut School Dance where she plays the lead female role, Anastacia. The film has an ensemble cast of Bobb'e J. Thompson, Mike Epps, Luenell, Katt Williams, Mike Epps, George Lopez, and The Rangers.
2015: New Music Mondays
On January 5, 2015, DeBarge started exclusively releasing new music. She entitled the project "New Music Mondays".
|2013||Young & Restless
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
As featured artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions|
(Redrama feat. Kristinia DeBarge)
- School Gyrls (2009) – as herself
- Turn the Beat Around (2010) – as herself
- Christmas in Compton (2012)
- School Dance (film) (2014) as Anastacia
Awards and nominations
|2009||MTV Video Music Awards||Best Choreography||Nominated|
|2010||Image Awards||Outstanding New Artist||Nominated|
- "20 yr old Kristinia DeBarge releases debut single "Goodbye"".
- "Kristinia DeBarge dishes about new album". June 8, 2009.
- ""Goodbye" a strong beginning for Kristinia DeBarge". Reuters. May 15, 2009.
- Exposed (2009): Reviews. Metacritic. Retrieved on 2009-11-03.
- Alwill, Cara (2009-06-25). "Who Is Kristinia DeBarge, Opening Act On Britney Spears' Fall Tour? – Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "iTunes - Music - Ignite -Single by Kristinia DeBarge". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-04-03. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Chart". Sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net. Retrieved 2014-04-26.
- "Redrama feat. Kristinia DeBarge - Let Go". YouTube. 2014-01-17. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- Ma 1.2.2016 klo 22.38. "Redrama feat. Kristinia DeBarge: Let go (UMK-finaali 1.2.2014) | Tv | Areena | yle.fi". Areena. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Musiikkituottajat - Tilastot - Suomen virallinen lista - Artistit". Ifpi.fi. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Listat - Radio Nova". Radionova.fi. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Twitter / kristinia: In the studio with my boy". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2014-04-26.
- Official website
- Kristinia DeBarge on Twitter
- Kristinia Debarge at YouTube
- Kristinia DeBarge at the Internet Movie Database
- Kristinia DeBarge 'Blues & Soul' interview by Pete Lewis, August 2009